Saturday, August 31, 2024

Whimsical Mosaic Bench

Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 1: Detail of Mosaic Bench

I found a whimsical cat bench at a rummage sale several years ago.  The quirky cat legs made the bench unique, and I snapped it up as a base for a quick mosaic project. 


Mosaic Bench with butterfly
Image 2: Whimsical Mosaic Cat Bench

The bench was some kind of composite material, making it light in weight, a big bonus for me.



Mosaic Bench Top with butterfly
Image 3: Mosaic Bench Top

When starting to mosaic the top, I wanted to create a distinct border, so I used the red rim from some china plates and created the edge first.  I wanted to experiment with a new color palette, and I wanted to use a fair amount of patterned china, and I'm showing you the finished bench.  Sometimes I find myself making goals, executing them, and then I am left scratching my head the result.   


Mosaic Bench detail with butterfly
Image 4: Mosaic Butterfly detail

I liked how the interior mosaic turned out.  I got to use the fun butterfly piece (above), and I like the colorful "chinz" style.  The red in some of the individual pieces was supposed to echo the red in the border; but the final result didn't work with the border as well as I thought it would.  The interior ended up "reading" as sort of pastel, with a loud red border.   Oh well....   


Mosaic Bench detail with butterfly
Image 5: Mosaic detail

The bench works well outside and I use it as an outside table for gardening and as a miscellaneous horizontal surface.  It's another picassiette mosaic project I've finished, and it has been useful.  (Except the cat's definitely don't deter chipmunks or rabbits...)     


Mosaic Bench detail with butterfly
Image 6: Mosaic Garden Bench



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mosaic Notes: The term picassiette in mosaics (or pique assiette) indicates the main mosaic material is broken china.  The word comes from pique assiette in French, meaning 'stolen from plate', but the french spelling and pronunciation has been shortened to picassiette by some English speaking artists.


Skills are improved by
practice and reflection!

 

 

Project Notes: I try to improve my skills by thinking about how a project turned out once completed.  I use these 3 questions.
1.  What went well, 
2.  What could have gone better, and 
3.  What would I do differently if I could re-do it. 


Applying these questions to this bench, I think I could improve it.  Here are my thoughts:
What went well:
I got to up-cycle a funky inexpensive bench!
I used vintage china to create a picassiette mosaic.
I tried a new color palette.
I'm happy with the materials used - clear silicon caulk, sanded grout, grout sealer.
I finished the mosaic in a short time period.
The project was fast, and finished! 

What could have gone better:
The impromptu color palette doesn't go as well with the border as I had hoped it would..
I did a sloppy job on the grout on the side.


What would I change in a do-over?
I might select a different border color.  Or interior color.  Or something.
I wouldn't have slopped grout all over the side.
I still could paint the grout to match the bench.


Answering these questions for completed projects is something I encourage people to try. 



Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 7: Butterfly detail in Mosaic


Enjoy the end of Summer!






Click on the images to see them enlarged.  Leave a comment if you have the time, they brighten my day!




If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

hutch display
Mosaic Collection - All Posts!

Glass Flowers
Part 2

Glass Flowers
Part 1
Snowy
Winter Garden
Bluebird
Hot Tub Party



































I am linking up to these parties:
Sum of their stories: Handmade Sun-Mon 388 (Entry 1x of 53x)
Esmesalon: Salon Pit Stop 326 Mon 4a (Entry 37 of 179)
Mostly blogging: Inspire me 482 Mon 9a (Entry 4 of 74)
My Random: Anything Goes 429 (Entry 3 of 29)
Good Random Fun: Good Fun Mon 4a (m Entry 22)
*BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 6a (s Entry 18x)
Holly pinklady: Hello Mon (l Entry 1)
Loulougirls: Fabulous-party 543 Mon 1p (l Entry 21)
Keeping it Real: Party 428 (Entry 28)
Karins Kottage: Linky Party (Entry 10 of 100)
Kristin at Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me 323 Mon 2-4p (m Entry 18)
* Marty at Stroll Life: Inspire Me Mon 3p (l Entry 3)
Image-in-ing: Weekly link up (Entry 20)
Jenerally informed: Happy-now 440 Link-up Tues (m Entry 8)
My Wee Abode: Tuesday Turn About (s Entry 25r)
Stonecottageadventures: Tues with a twist 593 (l Entry 8)
Flusterbuster: Creative Muster 5p Tues (l Entry x)
Eclectic Red Barn: You are the Star (Entry 23)
Ducks n a Row: Wonderful Wed 137 (m Entry 13r of 58r)
Grandmas house: Grandmas house 416 Wed (m Entry 16 of 34)
Artsy mama: Artsy Party Wed 10a (Entry 1 of 5)
My world Thru My Lens: My Corner Wed (Entry )
Fifth Sparrow No More: Whimsy Home 98 (Entry 9r of 36r)
Thrift Store Addiction: Vintage Charm 455 Wed (m Entry 14 of 36)
Ridgehaven Homestead: Homestead Blog Hop Wed (Entry )
French Ethereal: Share Your Style 438 Wed 6p (Entry 5)
Always Write: Wednesday Quotes (Entry )
Try It Like It: Creatively Crafty 358 Th (Entry 11 of 31)
KatherinesCorner: Th Fav Things 10a (Entry --)
Also Follow the yellow brick: TFT 10a (Entry )
Its a small town life: Thankful Th 24 (Entry 2 of 14)
Natalie: Coffee Share Th (Entry )
Modern on Monticello: Home matters 496 Fri (s Entry 21r of 45r)
Answer is choco: BFF open house Thur (Entry 21 of 44)
Coastal Bohemian: Funtastic Thur 8p (i Entry 81 of 109)
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 634 Fr 8a (L Entry 17)
Countyroad 407: Farmhouse Fri 325 (Entry )
Fiesta Friday: Fiesta Fri (Entry )
Skyley: Skywatch Fri (Entry )
Momfessionals: Fri Favorites (Entry 35)
Cottagemarket: A morning cup of Joe 207 (L Entry 9 of 23)
Shabby Art boutique: Create-grow-gather 639 (L Entry x of 45)
Crazy Little Love Birds: Link party 54 Fri (Entry 1)
Rambling Woods2: Nature Notes Fri (Entry )
Funkyjunkinteriors: DIY Salvaged Fri (Entry )
Pams Party: Dare to share 456 Fri 11p (m Entry 35)
Nixpixmix: Sunday Best (l Entry )
The house on Silverado: Sun on Silverado 212 7a (Entry 39)
Ducks n a Row: Happiness is Homemade 112 Sun a (Entry 14)
Life and Linda: Dishing it Digging it 268 Sun 3p (l Entry 14)
Grace filled Moments: Sweet Tea Friends (Entry 35)
Bosworth Life: Garden year August (Entry 2)
A pinch of joy: Busy Sun even (l Entry )
Jaipur Gardening: Garden Affair Sun (Entry )
Sew can do: Craftastic Mon Su (Entry 8)
A Labour of Love: Happiness is Homemade 548 Sun a (Entry 14)
Also Love my Mess: Happiness is homemade Sun (Entry )
Create with Joy: Inspire me Sun-Mon (monthly)
Lindas lunacy: Making-a-home Tue 9a (m Entry monthly)
April Harris: Hearth and Soul Sun 10p (Entry 31 monthly)

675820







14 comments:

roentare said...

The mosaic is looking so magnificent

Chandhini said...

This is so creative and beautiful. Love the designs

Sum of their Stories said...

This is gorgeous, I love the pastel mosaic with a bright red border - why not! If you get cold frosts in winter where you live do consider bringing it in over the winter though won't you? When our kids were little we made a wonderful sunshine art mosaic for the garden but after about 3 years some of the ceramics that we used (old plates, tiles etc) cracked and the top shiny layer fell off.

Handmade in Israel said...

You did a beautiful job of it! I like the red, though you are right that it is not the same red as the inside pieces. No matter. It's great! #MMBC

Kim Carberry said...

That is just gorgeous! I love the cats and the design of the mosaic. It's so pretty.

PaulaShort said...

Jeanne, your mosaic bench is just lovely!
Visiting today from SSPS 326 #86,87,88&89.

Joanne said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the colors and patterns of China you used for your mosaic.

Veronica Lee said...

Love, love, love your mosaic bench.
You did a fantastic job, Jeanne.

Stephanie BWL said...

Wow - that's amazing, it looks fabulous and love those kitties! Thanks for sharing with #TheGardenYear

Jennifer Wise said...

This is just gorgeous. I think you did an amazing job. Visiting from The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party.

Jayne said...

This is stunning! What a creative project. I love the bold red border against the patterned pastel inner. Beautiful!
Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. :)

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

Your mosaic is beautiful! I love the finished bench! Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures & Old Rock Farmhouse

Michelle said...

You did a gorgeous job with this bench. I never find interesting things like the cats at a sale! Thank you for linking up and I hope to see you back this week!

Stephanie said...

This is beautiful! Featuring your post tomorrow at The Crazy Little Lovebirds link party #55. :)