Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Vowing to look Closer

Flower by Jeanne Selep
Image 1: Flower, square cropping

I love going to botanical gardens, breathing in the fresh and mostly fragrant air, moving about in the outdoors, and seeing thousands of flowers in their moment of glory in a beautiful setting.  Some flowers bloom only once a year for less then a week, so I make an effort to catch the blossoms often and at the best times.  The camera comes along to document the day and allow me to review later any discoveries.  My camera also encourages me to pause and take a closer look.  The pause and closer look may well be my favorite aspect of photography.

Flower by Jeanne Selep
Image 2: Flower petals, square cropping

Stopping to study a flower, I notice the center, sometimes hidden and sometimes revealed, like a jewel placed in a surround of silk or tissue.  A group of flowers might have only one or two with their centers visible, or perhaps an entire area might be full of flowers striving to be noticed.  (People are similar to flowers - many times their core is hidden, and there are short magical moments when the sun comes out and they reveal some beauty not normally seen, for those who pause to notice.) 


When I review my photos, sometimes days or months later, I occasionally find myself entranced by an photo I took, when at the time it seemed just another photo in my day.  Macro photography allows me to see more, to "look closer".  Viewed later, a photo that didn't seem special then now becomes a favorite.  (Here I define macro photography as seeing the image at larger than life size).

Flower by Jeanne Selep
Image 4: Anemone Flower with dispersed pollen

The Anemone above is an example - amazing color and shape, and fully opened compared to the others around it.  A beautiful flower, in peak bloom, amazing color and condition, but darn, I wanted to blow off (didn't work) or wash off all the pollen making the flower look dusty, which wasn't an option.  At home on my screen, however, I was entranced.  The pollen forms like a galaxy of stars around the black hole of the center.  or maybe it's like people leaving a stadium concert.  Not the typical photo of an anemone, but for some reason it speaks to me.  (Click on the image to see it big!) 


Discoveries like this have made me vow to look closer, often.  I now have a new goal - this year I vow to look closer.  




Don't forget to enjoy the flowers of the season - some flowers last barely a week!


Click on the images to see them enlarged.


If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy...

Glass Flowers P2
Glass Flowers P1
Lilies of Valley
Spring Nest
Mosaics
Autumn Wreath
Oak Leaf Print
Glass Leaf
Winter Garden

Bluebirds
Tulips

Spring Album
Spring Tags
Needlework


Chicago Garden























I am linking up to these parties:
Create with Joy: Inspire me Sun-Mon (Entry 62 of 263.)   I was featured here!
My Random: Anything Goes 380 (Entry 26 of 42.)
Rachel Swirl: Sunday Snapshot (Entry 8 of 9.)
Good Random Fun: Good Fun Mon 4a (m Entry 27 of 28.)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 6a (s Entry 27x of 29x.)
Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me 273 Mon 2-4p (m Entry 70 of 91.)
Common Ground: About Home 198 Mon 6p (l Entry 65 of 129.)
Loulougirls: Fabulous-party Mon 477 1p (l Entry 56 of 68.)
Mersad photography: Thru my Lens (Entry 18 of 19.)
Image-in-ing: Weekly link up (Entry 24 of 49.)
Nicholasjv: Travel Tuesday 392 (Entry 14 of 14.)
Pinch of Joy: Busy Mon 576 (Entry 26 of 124.)           I was featured here!
April Harris: Hearth and Soul (Entry 51 of 203.)
My world Thru My Lens: My Corner Wed (Entry 3 of 36.)
Stonecottageadventures: Tues with a twist 527 (l Entry 18 of 23.)
Karins Kottage: Karins Cottage (Entry 15 of 107.)
Flusterbuster: Creative Muster 539 Wed (l Entry 55x of 99x.)
Thrift Addiction: Vintage Charm 391 Wed (m Entry 26 of 44.)
Grandmas house: Grand House 350 Wed 4p (m Entry 59 of 133.)
Imparting grace: Grace at home 508 (Entry 51 of 117.)
Artsy mama: Artsy Party Wed 10p (Entry 61 of gone.)
My Slices of Life: Hearts+Home Handmade Th 4p (Entry 38 of 73.)
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 567 Fr 8a (L Entry 4 of 65.)
Eclectic Red Barn: Wonderful Tu 7p (Entry 104r of 111r.)
Also Pennys Passion: Wonderful Tu 7p (m Entry 104r of 111r.)
KatherinesCorner: Th Fav Things 10a (Entry 95 of 174.)
Also Follow the yellow brick: TFT 10a (Entry 95 of 174.)
Keeping it Real: Really Crafty 367 (m Entry 32 of 35.)
Pennys Passion: Fri Favorites (Entry 17 of 24.)
Natalie: Coffee Share Th (Entry 5 of 28.)
Simply Beautiful: Funtastic Thur 439 8p (i Entry 69 of 88.)
Grammys Grid: Unlimited Party 114 (Entry 36 of gone.)
Cottagemarket: A morning cup of Joe 142 (L Entry 14 of 59.)
Shabby art: Create-grow-gather 574 (L Entry 22x of 113x.)
Modern Monticello: Home matters 432 Fri (s Entry 37r of 123r.)
Pinch of Joy: Busy Mon 572/ (s Entry 85 of 122.)
The house on Silverado: Sun on Silverado 148 (Entry 110 of 131.)
Ducks n a Row: Happiness is Homemade Sun a (Entry 86 of 109.)
Life and Linda: Dishing it Digging it 204 Sun 3p (l Entry 97 of 127.)
Sew Can Do: Craftastic Mon (Entry 101 of 105.)
Found Chelsea blog, Cool floral site, Chelsea flicker,
Chelsea food, Flower Instagram, Blog, England

519174






15 comments:

NCSue said...

Absolutely stunning macro images - thank you so much for sharing them at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/05/on-retreat.html

Veronica Lee said...

These macros are really stunners!

Happy Wednesday!

Klara said...

exquisite!

PaulaShort said...

Oh my, your photos are stunning.
Visiting today from Grace At Home #52&53.

Joanne said...

These are absolutely breathtaking! I love how the pollen nearly glitters.

Natalie said...

Beautiful photos of the flowers. I do take time to enjoy what's in bloom every season. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

Denyse Whelan. said...

I loved this and I too marvel at nature...and her many patterns. I will sometimes look back and see details in an image I hadn't noticed initially. Visiting from Australia and #weekendcoffeeshare

Melis said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Yes, we simply have to take time to marvel at nature! Otherwise, what is it all for? Hope you're enjoying a beautiful weekend!

RachelSwirl said...

I love how you've captured such stunning close-up photographs! They really are amazing - Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

I enjoyed these photos very much! The last is particularly stunning.

Kirstin said...

Thank you for sharing this. I really, really enjoyed your thoughts along with the photos and totally agree. Great thoughts to ponder.

Michelle said...

Your macros are just beautiful! Thank you for linking them up!

Wildflower Adventures said...

Your view of the flowers is beautiful. I like to hunt for flowers & take their picture. I wish I lived close to a botanical garden, I think I would have the season pass & go often. Karen

PaulaShort said...

The details of the close up center of the flower are amazing.
Visiting today from Hearth & Soul #5&6

Create With Joy said...

Great article and stunning photos - visiting you is always pure joy! Thanks for joining us for Friendship Friday at Create With Joy - congrats on being one of our Featured Friends at Party #541! :-)