Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring Needlework

Vintage cross stitch flowers floral
Vintage Cross Stitch from a tea towel
Here in Wisconsin, the daffodils started blooming the last weekend in April - and the tulips had buds, the grass was green, but the trees were still bareSince spring is finally starting I decided to share some very spring-like vintage needlework linens I have collected.  One word that describes these linens is "Sweet".  

Vintage cross stitch flowers floral
Vintage Cross stitch detail from a pillowcase

The two photos above show two cross stitch samples.  I love the coloration on these two projects - so beautiful and springy.  I have made a few cross stitch projects, mostly Christmas ornaments, and so I have an appreciation for the time cross stitch takes.  (About eight hours to make a small Christmas ornament).  So when I see a lovely project at an estate sale or rummage sale, I enjoy collecting it. 

blanket stitch applique needlework flowers vintage
Vintage blanket stitch hand applique detail

The next type of needlework I am sharing I have only ever seen at estate or rummage sales, but now I have several examples.  The brightly colored blanket stitch hand applique is fascinating to me.  The blanket stitches are so tiny and nearly invisible on the back.  The fabric appliqued has beautiful variations in color, and the color is so pure.     

Vintage applique needlework flowers blanket stitch
Details from two hand appliqued tea towels

Above I am showing the two towels together so you can see the differences in the placement of the color, for example in the blue flower.  These towels may have been "mass produced", (I am guessing), but the needlework is still done by hand.   







Needlework tree in bloom
Needlework tree in bloom

This final example is machine done (I presume). A whimsical tree in bloom shines on the lightest weight pink fabric.  I like how the designer made the trunk detail have actual holes through the fabric.  This example is also from a towel, and I find the pink and gray combination sophisticated.  

I hope these springy needlework linens cheer you as much as they cheer me.

Click on the images to see them enlarged. 


If you enjoyed this post you might also like:
hutch display
Vintage Lace
christmas stockings
Stockings
heart quilt
Heart Quilt
Batik Scrap Quilt
Spring Hutch
Spring China
mosaic heart stepping stone
Mosaic Heart
butterfly costume jewelry
Butterfly Bling
















I am linking to these parties:

A Delight: Home and Garden Thur 22 (Entry 64 of 91.)
Faith Grace: Pearls and Lace Thur 134 (Entry 25 of 32.)
Thrifty Grove: Thrifty Things Fri 107 (Entry 4 of 56.)
Domesblissity: Thriving on Thurs 65 (Entry 89 of 106.) 
Katherine: Thurs Favorite Things 86 (Entry 186 of 268.) 
House of Hepworths: Hooking Up 146 (Entry 270 of 375.) 
Glimpse inside: Catch a Glimpse 129 (Entry 177 of 260.) 
Charm of Home: Home Sweet Home Thur 117 (Entry 49 of 143.) 
Jan Olson: Share your Cup of Tea Thur 56 (Entry 88 of 116.)
From my Porch: Treasure Hunt Thur 105 (Entry 103 of 117.) 
Blue Egg: Vintage Love Thur (Entry 8 of 19.) 
Creative Princess: Its a Party 103 (Entry 122 of 136.)
Jen Rizzo: Fabulous Friday (Entry 15 of 141.) 
The Tablescaper: Seasonal Sunday 150 (Entry 56 of 94.)
I Heart Naptime: Sundae Scoop 78 (Entry 235 of 546.)
Simple Five: Inspire me Fri 101 (Entry 15 of 128.) 
Rooted in Thyme: Simple and Sweet Fri (Entry 56 of 77.)
Dedicated: Anything Blue Fri 7 (Entry 5 of 78.)
Natasha in Oz: Say G'day Sat 66 (Entry 118 of 191.) 
504Main: Tickled Pink 144 (Entry 161 of 238.) 
Be Different: Show and Tell Sat (Entry 288 of 345.)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Mon 224 (Entry 133 of 206.) *
Mod Vintage: Mod Mix Mon 100 (Entry 27 of 64.)
Boogie Board: Masterpiece Mon 122 (Entry 24 of 132.) h
Stephanie Lynn: Sunday Showcase 193 (Entry 195 of 266.) 
Making the World Cuter 53 (Entry 102 of 190.)
Uncommon Design: Mon Funday 16 (Entry 57 of 623.)
Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tues 162 (Entry 19 of 252.)
Homemaker: Creative bloggers 110 (Entry 60 of 171.) 
Dedicated: Make it Pretty Mon 48 (Entry 97 of 339.)
Family Home: Wow Us Wed (Entry 43 of 92.)
Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wed 169 (Entry 89 of 421.)
Savvy Style: Wow Us Wed 117 (Entry 165 of 367.) h *

Trendy Tree: Creative Share Wed (Entry 1 of 235.)
Lavender Garden: Cottage Style 43 (Entry 30b of 54.) 
Annamarie: Link your Stuff (Entry 174 of 205.)
Le Chateau des fleurs: Mon Link Party  (Entry 178 of 240.)
Cottage market: Junkin Joe Vintage  (Entry 38 of 39.)
Dwellings: Amaze me Mon 5 (Entry 52 of 60.) 
Cozy House: Tweak it Tuesday 39 (Entry 119 of 131.)
No Minimalist Here: Open House (Entry 44 of 171.)

 
113962

23 comments:

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

Absolutely beautiful!! You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest GFC follower from the “Domesblissity” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
Thanks
Angie
PS – I would also like to invite you to a blog hop called: “The Great Blog Train” currently live on my blog (the kind of hop where you link up your homepage)– Thank you!

Jayne said...

Lovely, I collect vintage and antique linens and never get tired of the beautiful embroidery :)

Schulz Family said...

visiting from feathered nest. this certainly is a collection of gorgeous needlework

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

How beautiful! My grandmother gave me a soft yellow tablecloth similar to the pink tree you photographed. The needlework is in each corner of the table cloth. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Thank you for hopping on board The Great Blog Train!

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Jeanne, These are beautiful examples of needlework. The cross stitch is lovely and the applique is stitched and embroidered beautifully....but I think my favourite is the "Tree in Bloom" there is something about that piece of work which really appeals to me.
I have enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog so I have become a new follower.
I would like to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! it will be lovely to see you there.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Katherines Corner said...

Gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing at the hop my new bloggy friend xo

Jennifer Hays said...

Oh, how beautiful. I have a deep love for vintage embroidered linens and I spent a long time just staring at yours. I only have a few myself but I cherish them. Your blog is so interesting; I'm following with GFC and looking forward to reading more! :)

Jennifer
http://thistlebearhome.blogspot.com

hidden art of homemaking said...

beautiful needlework pieces...I always love finding these pieces at thrift stores or estate sales. someone put a lot of work into each one..
Love, Mona

Doni said...

I love your collection! I too am mezmerized by the countless hours that needlework takes, and that someone could part with something so lovingly hand made still makes me wonder about them! I just have to collect all kinds of hand made lace and linens so they won't be forgotten!! Thank you so much for sharing such beauties with us for my party!!
Blessings,
Doni

Anonymous said...

I so agree that these are wonderful springtime stitchings! I am glad I found you,via Natasha's linky party. I am sure I will visit again.

Maria Matter said...

these are beautiful examples of springtime stitchings!
Thank you so much for sharing @ Inspire Me Fridays!

debra @ homespun said...

These are exquisite! :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, what beautiful needlework pieces. Each one is such a work of art. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Chelsea @ Married Filing Jointly said...

Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday link party!

http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com/

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a fabulous collection! I too love and appreciate all the work that goes into needlework. I delight when I find vintage pieces at estate sales. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Kathy said...

You have a marvelous collection of needlework - such a marvelous art! Love the floral designs. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Highland Monkey's said...

Arn't they just beautiful. Am I jealous of your collection....yes I am! lol

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Beautiful works of art, soooo pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

These are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing with us...LOVED everything! hugs...

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Such pretty flowers!! :) Have a great week-end!! xx Holly

Krista said...

I love doing embroidery work. I am working on a cross stitch right now but it is so relaxing to sit and chat with good friends while your fingers are busy. I love the reminder to get back to work :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

italiafinlandia said...

So fine works!

Isabel said...

Muito bonito!
Gostei muito do blogue e já o sigo!

Bom dia:))