Monday, August 31, 2026

Butterfly Mosaic

Summer floated by gently, days fluttering into weeks as gatherings, events, and picnics flourished; now late evening sunsets are arriving earlier.  

I'll remind myself of this summer with my latest mosaic project - a blue and white butterfly I finished in August.     


Mosaic butterfly by Jeanne Selep
Image 1: Mosaic butterfly Mosaic

I envisioned a butterfly "sculpture" that would float over my fern garden, (which is starting to fade as the summer heat dries it out.)  


Blue White Mosaic butterfly by Jeanne Selep
Image 2: Mosaic butterfly Mosaic

I also tried out the butterfly over/in one of my hydrangea plants (below)...  


BLUE WHITE Mosaic butterfly by Jeanne Selep
Image 3: Blue and White Mosaic Butterfly

...but I like the butterfly flying over the ferns better.  


BLUE WHITE Mosaic butterfly by Jeanne Selep
Image 4: Butterfly Mosaic over my Ferns


Some of you may remember there used to be glass garden flowers in my fern garden.  If you are wondering, I moved them to other parts of my yard, because the ferns looked so lush without them.


BLUE WHITE Mosaic butterfly by Jeanne Selep
Image 5: Blue and White Mosaic Butterfly

Back to the mosaic:  My up-cycled picassiette mosaic butterfly started with a metal wall butterfly decoration found at a rummage sale.  I then covered the metal with mosaic pieces from blue and white vintage china. (Picassiette mosaics are mosaics made with pieces of china.)  

The butterfly is about 16 inches (40cm) across and 11 inches (28cm) from top to bottom.  


BLUE WHITE Mosaic butterfly by Jeanne Selep
Image 6: Mosaic butterfly Mosaic

The butterfly itself is sturdy, but not too heavy. I attached the butterfly to a pole (with some difficulty!)  I will see how the pole attachment holds up.  If the squirrels start jumping on it from the bird feeder I expect there will be problems.  The pole connection problem isn't really solved yet.

_____________________________________


I hope you have enjoyed
the long Summer days,
and I hope the rest of the year
is even better!


 (Even if like me you are going to miss summer a little...)

_____________________________________


Click on the images to see them enlarged.

 

Comments encourage me, and I like encouragement. Please leave a comment if you have time!  


I have three large categories of posts: 
Travel, China and China hutches, and Mosaics.  

_____________________________________

hutch display
Click here for an Incredible Mosaic Collection!

_____________________________________

Recent Posts ...

Mosaic Tree #3
Mosaic Tree #2
Mosaic Tree #1
Italian Poppy Field
Journaling
Autumn Roads

_____________________________________

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy ...

shell mirror
Shell Mirror
flower mirror
Flower Mirror
Rock Window
Heart Window
Glass Flowers
Fused Glass
Glass Leaf
Mosaics
Mosaic Birds
Italian Garden
Winter Garden

Bonsai in Bloom
Bluebirds
Canadian Hike
Autumn Wreath




_____________________________________

I am linking up to these parties: 
Sum of their stories: Handmade Mon 486 (Entry x of gone.)
Mostly blogging: Inspire me Mon 579 (Entry 2 of 36.)
My Random: Anything Goes (Entry sept back??)
More coffee breaks: Everyday Images 97 (b Entry 5)
*BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 6a (s Entry 11x of 14x.)
Holly pinklady: Hello Mon (l Entry 7 of 9.)
Loulougirls: Fabulous-party Mon 647 (l Entry 31 of 43.)
Keeping it Real: Mon Party 524 (Entry 12 of 40.)
Mersad photography: Thru my Lens (Entry 15 of 16.)  Osaka bears
Kristin at Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me Mon 2-4p (m Entry ??--)
Nicholasjv: Travel Tuesday 565 (Entry 5 of 9.)
My slices of life: Talk About It Tue 86 (Entry ***)
Jenerally informed: Happy-now Link-up 544 (m Entry 16 of 55.)
Flusterbuster: Creative Muster 686 (l Entry 1x of 74x.)
Ducks n a Row: Wonderful Wed 276 (m Entry 32r of 134r.)
Grandmas house: Grandmas house Wed 522 (m Entry ***--)
Artsy mama: Artsy Party Wed 10a (Entry x of 62.)            I was featured on 9-9-2026!
Our Hopeful Home: Vintage Charm 555 (m Entry 10 of 75.)
Simple Life Mom: Homestead Blog Hop Wed (Entry 23 of 31.)
Pennys Passion: Thinking out Loud Thur (Entry 1 of 24.)
French Ethereal: Share Your Style 513 (Entry 4b of 30.)
Lisa Howeler: Weekend Traffic Jam Thur 22 (Entry 24 of 61.)
Try It Like It: Creatively Crafty Th 462 (Entry 1 of 28.)
KatherinesCorner: Th Fav Things 10a (Entry 25 of 112.)
Also Follow the yellow brick: TFT 10a (Entry 25
of 112.)   Fall Tour
Its a small town life: Thankful Th (Entry 12 of 17.)
Shelbee on the Edge: Spread Kindness 823 (l Entry 15 of 61)
Modern on Monticello: Home matters 596 (s Entry 9r of 90r.)
Coastal Bohemian: Funtastic Thur 608 (i Entry 4 of 99.)
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 732 (L Entry 9 of 68.)
Countyroad 407: Farmhouse Fri 458 (Entry 1 of 83.)
Bosworth Life: PoCoLoCo Post Comment Love (Entry 3 of 13.)
Cottagemarket: A morning cup of Joe 596 (L Entry 4 of 37.)   I was featured here!
Shabby Art boutique: Create-grow-gather 742 (L Entry 4x of 83x.)
Crazy Little Love Birds: Link party 156 (Entry 16 of 42.)
Funkyjunkinteriors: DIY Salvaged Fri 846 (Entry 6 of 12.)
Pams Party: Dare to share Fri 11p (m Entry 3 of 45.)             I was featured here!
Stitchin mommy: September Crafters (Entry 1x of 23x monthly)
Huisvlijt: Huisvlijt Party 40 (Entry 10)
Nixpixmix: Sunday Best 500 (l Entry 8)                                 500!
The house on Silverado: Sun on Silverado 7a (Entry ***
)
A Labour of Love: Happiness is Homemade 653 (Entry 6 of 69.
)
Ducks n a Row: Happiness is Homemade 132 (Entry 6 of 69.)
Life and Linda: Dishing it Digging it 376 (l Entry 18)
A pinch of joy: Busy Sun 738 (l Entry 4 of 51.)
Jaipur Gardening: Garden Affair Sun (Entry 7 of 9.)
Sew can do: Craftastic Mon Su (Entry 5)
Sticky Mud+Belly laughs: Mon Morning (Entry 1)
Esmesalon: Salon Pit Stop Mon 427 (Entry 51 of 159.)
Life tales books: Will blog for Comments Mon (bi-week)
Create with Joy: Inspire me Sun-Mon (monthly
)
Grace filled Moments: Sweet Tea Friends Sept (m Entry 37 of 159.
)
For the Love: Linkup Party 428 (Entry 1 of 14. monthly
)
Life Captured: Home Page Linkup 7 (Entry 2 of 21. monthly)
HP Portugal library

 
1238966


Here is a getting started with mosaics tutorial from Apple Street Cottage. 







20 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! Hope your transition from a caterpillar to a buterfly was smooth and joyful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I want one.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! I love it up against the ferns best too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Such detail in this work. Thank you for linking up and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your butterfly is stunning. Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a metal butterfly decoration to use as a base!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful!!! Really gorgious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love butterflies and I love your mosaic. I hope it hold up on it's pole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That butterfly is beautiful and putting it over your ferns is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet another complete stunning mosaic masterpiece! Your butterfly design is incredible! Love the mix of blues and soft white. It really has a unique vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your butterfly is so pretty. And I, too, like it in with the green fern. Makes the butterfly pop!
    Thank you for sharing your home page with Life Captured.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your butterfly is beautiful, Thank you for sharing with us at Handmade Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a gorgeous butterfly. Love your creativity and talent. I am happy to feature your amazing piece at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Butterflies are my favorite and this is beautiful!
    Thanks so much for sharing with Sweet Tea & Friends this month dear friend. I'm so happy you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your butterfly mosaic is very beautiful! What a nice garden decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful butterfly! I love how the blue and white china looks against the green ferns. It really does look as though it has just landed in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your butterfly is gorgeous! I just love it in the garden. #MMBC

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed this post! I love reading reader's comments...