Thursday, August 3, 2023

Mosaic Butterfly Garden Chair

Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 1: Mosaic Butterfly Chair Center

A US Midwestern summer includes enjoying gardens and yards, so today's post spotlights a garden chair I up-cycled with mosaics.  I have my share of mosaic stepping stones, so creating the mosaic on a chair seat yielded a much more versatile and useful decorative object!  

Mosaic Butterfly Chair seat by Jeanne Selep
Image 2: Mosaic Butterfly Chair seat

Besides being an actual chair (!), it's great have a level surface to set tools, or my camera, or beverages on when I'm outside.  It's also nice to sit on when taking a break from planting and weeding.  Amazingly, I have actually sat on the chair while eating outside with my 20-something children in sight of the flowers! (and weeds).

Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 3: Garden setting, with flowering hydrangea tree!

 

The chair is part of a vintage (and rusty) outdoor table and chair set I purchased in Door County.  The chair is actually is a folding chair, but I don't use it that way, and I leave it out all winter (Click here for my winter garden photos).  I up-cycled the table first.  Since I am trying a variety of mosaic techniques, I am not making this set match at all.  The unifying theme is picassiette mosaic.

(Mosiac work using broken china is sometimes called Pique Assiette, or picassiette.)

Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 4: Up-cycled vintage Mosaic Butterfly Chair

 

The table and chair set included the mosaic table below, detailed in the post here.

Repurposed Mosaic Table
Upcycled Garden Mosaic Table
Picassiette Mosaic Table Top
Mosaic Garden Table Top



 

Mosaic Notes: Trying to flex my mosaics and design skills, in this chair I mixed small vintage tiles, contemporary and vintage china, and a central element from a novelty butterfly plate. I used multiple borders and triangular piecing. I loosely coordinated the butterfly's colors and added in additional colors, including cobalt and an inspiring periwinkle blue plate that I really wanted to use because the color was just so lovely. (Periwinkle is a lavender tinted blue, the photos don't necessarily capture the color).  LOL, half the reason the chair exists was to use that plate! 

Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 5: Mosaic Butterfly with Curved Border Detail


Project Notes: Reflecting on the results of achieved when a project is completed, I try to answer these 3 questions.

1.  What went well, 
2.  What could have gone better, and 
3.  What would I do differently if I could re-do it. 

Applying these questions to my chair, I saw I definitely improved and am happy with the results.  Here are my thoughts:

What went well:
I got to use the center of a lovely resale butterfly plate!
I used vintage tiles and other beautiful materials.
I used and was more adept at triangular piecing.
I used multiple border elements and lined them up better than I did in a previous project (the table from this set, shown below, for example).
I got to use an unusual color palette that makes me smile including periwinkle, cobalt and light blues inspired by the center butterfly plate.
I'm happy with the materials used - clear silicon caulk, sanded grout, grout sealer.
The project was fast, and finished! 

What could have gone better:
The chair really is too rusty for my taste.

What would I do differently if I could have a do-over?
I might have removed rust and used rust preventive paint.


Answering these questions for completed projects is something I encourage people to contemplate.  Skills are improved by practice and reflection!  

Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 7: Mosaic table and chair in garden

 

Garden Notes: I created this raised bed garden during the pandemic, with all plants and the tree, in what was plain lawn.  The small tree is a flowering Hydrangea tree and is already significantly bigger than when I planted it!

 

 

"If you have a garden and a library, 
you have everything you need." 

- Cicero      



Mosaic Butterfly Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 8: Mosaic table and chair in garden with flowering Hydrangea tree



"Gardeners, I think,
dream bigger dreams
than emperors." 

- Mary Cantwell      


Click on the images to see them enlarged.  Leave a comment if you have the time, they brighten my day!





If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

hutch display
Mosaic Collection - All Posts!

Glass Flowers
Part 2

Glass Flowers
Part 1
Snowy
Winter Garden
Bluebird
Hot Tub Party








































I am linking up to these parties:
Create with Joy: Inspire me 572 Sun-Mon (18 of 79monthly
)
Always Write: Wednesday Quotes 31 (Entry
5 of 11.)
Sum of their stories: Handmade Mon 337 (Entry 9x of 64x.
)        I was featured here!
Mostly blogging: Inspire-me-mon 432 (Entry 21 of 96
)
Answer is choco: BFF open house Friday (Entry ***
)
My Random: Anything Goes 388 (Entry 28 of 52.
)
Rachel Swirl: Sunday Snapshot (Entry 10 of 11.)
Good Random Fun: Good Fun 31 Mon 4a (m Entry 15 of 38.)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 758 6a (s Entry 26x of 32x.)
Loulougirls: Fabulous-party 487 Mon 1p (l Entry 30 of 75.)
Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me 283 Mon 2-4p (m Entry 9 of 95.)
* Stroll Life: Inspire Me 693 Mon 3p (l Entry 41 of 134.)
Image-in-ing: Weekly link up (Entry 18 of 46.)
Nicholasjv: Travel Tuesday 402 (Entry 14 of 15.)
My world Thru My Lens: My Corner Wed (Entry 2r of 47r.)
My Wee Abode: Tuesday Turn About 214 (s Entry 4r of 132r.
)
Stonecottageadventures: Tues with a twist 537 (l Entry 8
of 38.)
Karins Kottage: Linky Party 324 (l Entry 28 of 33.
)
Eclectic Red Barn: Wonderful Wed (Entry 9r of 167r.)
Also Ducks n a Row: Wonderful Wed (m Entry
9r of 167r.)
Flusterbuster: Creative Muster 549 Wed (l Entry 5x of 121x.)
My Thrift Store Addiction: Vintage Charm 402 Wed (m Entry 45 of 45.)
Grandmas house: Grandmas house 360 Wed 4p (m Entry 15 of 79.)
French Ethereal: Share Your Style 399 Wed 6p (Entry 28 of 42.)
Artsy mama: Artsy Party Wed 10p (Entry 30 of gone.)
My Slices of Life: Hearts+Home Handmade Th 4p (Entry 42 of 83.)
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks Fr 8a (L Entry ***)
KatherinesCorner: Th Fav Things 620 10a (Entry 47 of 189.)
Also Follow the yellow brick: TFT 10a (Entry 47
of 189.)
Coastal Bohemian: Funtastic Thur 448 8p (i Entry 4 of 123.)

 Try It Like It: Creatively Crafty 391 Th 4p (Entry 9
of 33.)
Modern Monticello: Home matters 441 Fri (s Entry 2r of 144r.
)
Sticky mud and bellylaughs/mon morn blog club (m Entry ***
)
Pams Party: Dare to share 456 Fri 11p (m Entry ***
)
Its a small town life: Thankful Th (Entry 6 of 10.)
Natalie: Coffee Share Th (Entry 4 of 21.)
Cottagemarket: A morning cup of Joe 150 (L Entry 1 of 84.)     I was featured here!
Shabby art boutique: Create-bake-grow-gather 583 (L Entry 48x)
Funkyjunkinteriors: DIY Salvaged Fri (Entry )
Mostly blogging: Inspire-me-mon 431 (Entry )
The house on Silverado: Sun on Silverado 157 (Entry 3 of 144.)
Ducks n a Row: Happiness is Homemade Sun a (Entry 115)
Life and Linda: Dishing it Digging it 213 Sun 3p (l Entry 33 of 132)
April Harris: Hearth and Soul Sun 10p (Entry 60)


537170


Interesting blog, fashion, one-to-three-photo-proc firms.nasa.gov

https://www.stickymudandbellylaughs.com/monday-morning-blog-club-21-8-23.html






15 comments:

Dee | GrammysGrid.com said...

So pretty!

Kym said...

Beautiful!! I love the colors!

Joanne said...

That is stunning!

Michelle said...

A beautiful set and I admire your work! Thanks for linking up.

Kirstin said...

That is beautiful. so is the garden.

Natalie said...

Beautiful mosaic table and chair. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Beautiful!! I love the quote re the library and the garden #WWOT

Veronica Lee said...

I absolutely love the beautiful mosaic table and chair.

Happy Tuesday, Jeanne.

NCSue said...

Very nice.
I'd like to try mosaic work. Perhaps I'll check the local arts council for classes!
Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/08/wordy-wednesday-this-week.html

Jennifer Wise said...

So impressive! What a beautiful design. Visiting from Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop.

peppylady (Dora) said...

What a project. I start an mosaic piece in my art journal. My first one.
I also took part in WW.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

betty-NZ said...

Wonderful outcome.

Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

Create With Joy said...

Jeanne, your mosaic and garden is SO lovely!
Congrats for being featured at Friendship Friday at Create With Joy this month!

Catherine said...

What a beautiful chair. I wonder how comfortable it is to sit on!

#MMBC

Anne said...

You have a beautiful garden and the chair is beautiful, as is the rest of the garden set, what lovely skills you have.