Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Mosaic Birds

Picassiette Mosaic Birds by Jeanne Selep
Teal Picassiette Mosaic birds

I wanted to share this pair of mosaic birds I created using vintage china from various resale venues. Mosaics created from broken china is called picassiette (also pique assiette), and it's my favorite kind of mosaic.  It's a great way to use chipped, damaged or broken china.

Picassiette Mosaic Bird by Jeanne Selep
Left facing Mosaic Bird
The single teal plate that became the tail feathers inspired the color palette.  I cut the bird shapes out of 1/4 inch thick wood on a jigsaw, glued down the china pieces with clear silicon, and finished the birds by grouting between the china.

Pique assiette Mosaic Bird by Jeanne Selep
Right facing Mosaic Bird

I don't know which of the birds is the girl and which one is the boy, but these two are definitely love birds, and I am hoping to figure out a baby bird shape so they can have babies someday.

Detail of Mosaic birds by Jeanne Selep
Mosaic birds posing for a close up
Here the two are having their close up.  

The birds are actually quite small, about 3 inches high by 5 inches tip of the beak to tip of the tail.

Small Mosaic bird and Window
Mosaic birds on Display

At the moment I display them on a window ledge near a small reproduction Tiffany Window that came from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where the real much larger window hangs. The large Tiffany window (the real one) is currently my favorite stained glass window in the world, in case anyone has a spare one...
 (btw, notice the authentic shabby chic (?) of the window and window handle...)

Mosaic bird pair by Jeanne Selep
Name the birds!  Leave suggestions in the comments


I haven't named the birds yet, so if anyone has suggestions, please leave your ideas in the comments.



Click on the images to see them enlarged.

 


If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

hutch display
Mosaic Collection - All Posts!



If you want to explore more, you might also enjoy...

Bluebirds
Heart Window
Mixed Media 2
Spring Gift Tags
New York Egg Hunt









































I am linking up to these parties:
Applestreetcottage: Party-in-your-PJs 2    I was featured here!
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 359  I was featured here!
Faeries and fauna: Waste not Wed 188    I was featured here!
Creative Mom: Craft Schooling Sunday    I was featured here!
Shabby art: Create-bk-grow-gather 403   I was featured here!
Kathleen: Bloggers Pit Stop 205               I was featured here!
Funkyjunkinteriors: DIY salvaged proj     I was featured here!
 

Lets Add Sprinkles: Keep in Touch Tue 95 4p (Entry 16 of 39.)
Interior frugalista: Talk of the Town Tu 208 6p (Entry 41 of 84.)
Also My Repurposed Life: Talk of the Town (Entry 41 of 84.)
Stonecottageadventures: Tuesday with a twist 345 (Entry 42 of 49.)
Gingersnap crafts:Wow me Tue 438 7p (Entry 17x of 115x.)
Girlish Whims: Whims Tues 8:50p (Entry 9 of 90.)
Thistlekeylane: Tuesday Turn About 32 (Entry 64 of 117.)
Also My Wee Abode: Tuesday Turn About 28 (Entry 64
of 117.)
My Random: Anything Goes 221 (Entry 42 of 45.)
Lindas lunacy: Making-a-home Tue 148 (Entry 28 of 43.)
LeCultivateur: Wonderful Wed (Entry 44r of 171r.)
Applestreetcottage: Party-in-your-PJs 292 (Entry 31 of 100.)    I was featured!
Delightsome Life: Home and Garden Wed 32 5p (Entry 1x of 76x.)
French Ethereal: Share Your Style 240 Wed 6p (Entry 2 of 43.)
Imparting grace: Grace at home 363 (Entry 92 of 113.)
Kathleen: Bloggers Pit Stop 205 Th 8p (Entry 74 of 91.)    I was featured!
FromGardners2Bergers: Handmade Hangout 267 Thur 6p (Entry 13 of 60.)
Twochicksandamom:Funtastic Fri Dec 5 (Entry 71 of 120.)
Eclectic Red Barn: Thurs Favorite Things Th 7a (Entry 51 of 226.)
Also KatherinesCorner: Thur (Entry
51 of 226.)
Also Follow the yellow brick: Thur (Entry
51 of 226.)
Funkyjunkinteriors: DIY salvaged projects-511 (Entry 2 of 23.)   I was featured!
The Painted Hinge: Farmhouse Fri 4p 138 (Entry 11 of 35.)
Petals pies + otherwise: Handmade Weekly 33 Fri (Entry 20 of 88.)
Firemanswife: Fri at the fire station 150 (Entry 18 of 55.)
Ohmyheartsiegirl: Friday Feature Party 200 (Entry 92 of 134.)
Cottagemarket: A morning cup of joe 8 (L Entry 38 of 74)

Shabby art: Create-bk-grow-gather 403 Fri 10a (L Entry 51x of 69x.)   I was featured!
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 359 Fri 8a (L Entry 60 of 106.)    I was featured!
Our mini family: Our mini party 262 (Entry x of 72.)
Creative Mom: Craft Schooling Sunday (Entry x? of 19.)    I was featured!
Finding Silver pennies: Silver Pennies 343 Sun 6a (Entry 32 of 82.)

Life and Linda: Love your Creativity 29 Sun 3p (L Entry 98 of 111.)
Across the Blvd: Create Bake Make 97 Sat 5pm (Entry 67)
Pams Party: Dare to share 402 (Entry 39 of 49)

Create with Joy: Inspire me Mon 411 (Entry skip)
Good Random Fun: Good Random Fun Mon 4a (Entry 23)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 574 6a (Entry x of 53)
Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me Mon 2-4p (Entry 13 of 84)
* Stroll Life: Inspire Me Mon 533 3p (Entry 11 of 84)
Maria Elena: Tue at Our Home 344 Mon 12p? (Entry 9 of 75)
 
Kippi at home: Youre the star (Entry 239 of 239)
Loulougirls: Mon fabulous-party-308 (Entry 16)
My World: My Corner Wed 12a NZ (Entry 54)
Faeries and fauna: Waste not Wed 188 (Entry 36x of 107x.)   I was featured!
Calypsointhecountry: Best of Month Fri 7a (Entry 19)
2dishingdivas: Creatively Crafty Th 208 (Entry 102)
Artsy Mama: Artsy Party 277 Thur (Entry 77)
 
 
 372209




26 comments:

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

Lovely artworks!
Regards

Sum of their Stories said...

Oh my goodness, these are just lovely. When me kids were little we did a mosaic for the garden but other than that it's not something I've tried. You are making me want to add this to my never ending to do list!!

Allyson said...

Wow, I am so in love with your birds! I visited an artsy mosaic place in downtown Philadelphia this summer that you would love, I'm sure. I'm visiting from Tuesday with a Twist. I pinned your awesome birds!

Roseann Hampton said...

Such a beautiful design! Thanks for sharing with us at The Blogger's Pit Stop!

Mary said...

these are so pretty! well done!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Love these birds! Visiting from the Bloggers Pit Stop.

creativejewishmom/sara said...

wow, these are amazing! i love mosaic but haven't done any in years....that doesn't stop me though from stashing broken dishes! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

My thrift store addiction said...

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

Ann said...

Your birds are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's, you are being featured on my blog Tuesday evening...and I'm still thinking about names for them!

Kathleen said...

Our Roseann has chosen your beautiful birds to be featured in the next Blogger's Pit Stop. Thanks for choosing us to promote your work.
Kathleen

handmade by amalia said...

Such sweet birds! Nice to see them having a cozy chat.
Amalia
xo

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

I love these!!! these are a really great make, beautiful

Sandi Magle said...

Hi, I'm going to try and do these both sides and mount them on a stick for the garden....I have several pieces of mosaic....here and there, and saving plates forever. Can't wait to do blue and white pottery birds!

Sam - Raggedy Bits said...

These little birdies are just the sweetest! Such a great idea and would make such lovely gifts. Love the blue tones that you have used in the tiles!

Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous project with us over at Waste Not Wednesday!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Jeanne, your mosaic birds are just so sweet. You must be very happy with how they turned out. Thank you for sharing them at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. I'm delighted to be featuring your mosaic birds at tomorrow's party and pinning too.
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Funky Junk Interiors said...

How positively adorable are these birds! They are beautifully done and perfect for our upcoming spring and summer months ahead!

I'm featuring this on DIY Salvaged Junk Projects 512 this weekend. Thanks for linking it up!

Anonymous said...

These birds are absolutely beautiful! Maybe, the one on the right is the male? As in nature the more colorful one is male.Why not name them Fortune and Cookie? They are made from China after all 😊

Jeanne said...

I love the names Fortune and Cookie, such a creative idea!

Louca por porcelana said...

WOW!Sooooo cute!

betty-NZ said...

Oh, my goodness, what an adorable project! I love the shape and the colors that you used, too.


Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

Veronica Lee said...

Your mosaic birds are really lovely!

Have a great weekend!

Jo said...

I've been in a 'creating slump' but your beautiful birds really got my attention! I've never done mosaic but I love the idea. Is there a special way to break the china into smaller pieces? My thought is put a towel over it and tap with a hammer. Is that what you do? Thanks in advance!

Liberty from B4andAfters.com said...

Your little birds are so cute! Thank you for sharing at Best of the Month! I will be featuring you on Friday. : )

Liberty from B4andAfters.com

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous! ❣️

Linda said...

These little mosaic birds are adorable.

A Crafty Mix said...

How beautiful Jeanne. Making mosaics in small sizes is not that easy but you most definitely have a talent. I'm totally loving all the beautiful things on your blog