Sunday, March 13, 2016

Glass Garden Flowers

Waiting for spring to arrive in Wisconsin is no longer flower free.  A while back, I decided to enjoy some glass flower blooms while my tulips and irises were thinking about growing.  I created glass flowers that bloom all winter long.
  
Easter Egg hunt 2014 Faberge New York City NYC Egg Hunt
Upcycled Glass Flowers

Creating glass flowers from vintage glass platters, bowls and dishes salvaged or reused, "upcycled" into blossoms of glass adds a real glow to my winter garden.

Upcycled glass flowers reused
Upcycled Glass Flowers
The flower are cheery on overcast days, but when the sun comes out the flowers can explode into a shower of sparkling glittering points of light.  (The photos don't do the flowers justice.) 

2014 Faberge New York City NYC Easter Egg Hunt
Reused vintage glass in flowers

Most of the glass was found at rummage sales, goodwill, and estate sales.  Many of the larger pieces have significant scratches, some of the platters are even chipped, but the flaws disappear at a distance.

2014 Faberge New York City NYC Easter Egg Hunt
Reused vintage glass in flowers
Selecting the combinations of glass to use adds a lot of fun to the creative process, and I find myself saving special centers for just the right platter combination. 



abalone Free desktop background by Jeanne Selep
Glass Flowers close-up
The way the pressed glass sparkles in the sun and the reflections and shadows produced makes me smile.

pearls free desktop background by Jeanne Selep
A display of upcycled glass flowers

This summer I might mass the flowers in the backyard, in and surrounded by more greenery, but for now they brighten up my front yard.  It's just as well I live near the end of a quiet cul de sac, I'm not sure the whimsy would be appreciated in some suburban homeowners associations.  

Click on the images to see them enlarged.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy...

Spring Gift Tags
Eggs of stone
Eggs-travaganza
Spring Tulips
Spring in Chicago
Spring Needlework

















I am linking up to these parties:
IShould: Inspiration Mon (Entry 206 of 776.) l
Create with Joy: Inspire Me Mon 219 (Entry 13 of 300)
Rustic Refined: Dishing It 87 (Entry 1x oc 121.)
Dwellings: Amaze me Monday 154 (Entry 4 of 141.)
Jembellish: A Round Tuit 301 (Entry 32 of 245.)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday (Entry 29x of 137.) *
Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tues 305 (Entry 27 of 140.)
* Stroll Life: Inspire Me Tues 309 (Entry 5 of 290.)
Finding Silver Pennies: Silver Pennies Sun 160 (Entry 115 of 131.) 
Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me Monday 103 (Entry 262 of 471.) 
Cozy House: Tweak It Tuesday 184 (Entry 111 of 169.)
Cupcakes: Project inspired 161 (Entry 351 of 500.) 
Thoughts from Alice: Sun At Home 100 (Entry 327 of 366.)
Dedicted House: Make it Pretty Mon (Entry 50 of 215.)
Carolyn: The Inspiration Board (Entry 236 of 351.)

Savvy Style: Wow Us Wed 265 (Entry 345 of 540.)
Gingersnapcrafts: Wow me Wednesday 248 (Entry 127X of 363.)
Creative Princess: Party 253 (Entry 16 of 89.)
Jan Olson: Share your Cup of Tea Thur 189 (Entry 11 of 140.)
A Delight: Home and Garden Thur 138 (Entry 23 of 118.) 
Katherines corner: Thurs favorite things 230 (Entry 164 of 395.) 
Bloomdesignsonline: Lovely Link Party 68 (Entry 107 of 224.) 
Classical Homemaking: The Homemaking Party (Entry 99 of 110.)
Charm of Home: Home Sweet Home 263 (Entry 8 of 127.) *
French Country: Feather Nest Fri (Entry 335 of 412.) *
A Glimpse Inside: Handmade Hangout 93 (Entry 160 of 311.)
Craftberry Bush: Inspiration Gallery 97 (Entry 372 of 527.) *

Rattlebridge Farm: Foodie Friday 17 (Entry 102 of 182.) * 
Chic: Flaunt it Friday 296 (Entry 14 of 149.) 
Funky Junk: Upcycled 322 (Entry 1 of 72.) l
Tatertots: Weekend Wrap Up (Entry 179 of 487.)

Marcela Cavaglieri: Finde Frugal 117 (Entry 5 of 36.)
Rostrose.ge: A New Life (Entry 35 of 46.)   GE
Mon Mellow Yellows au (Entry 26 of 31.)
3littlegreenwoods: DIY collective 12 (Entry x of 196.)
A Trayofbliss: Five Star Frou Frou 41 (Entry 54 of 64.) 

I WAS FEATURED!!!  :)  Thoughts from Alice: Sundays at Home 101
I WAS FEATURED!!!  :)  Rustic Refined: Digging It Party 88

219393

35 comments:

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

These are beautiful and so creative. Love the colors. Your creativity is amazing! Thanks for sharing at DI&DI.

Ann said...

Your flowers are beautiful! Please share how you attached them to the stakes.
Ann
http://theapplestreetcottage.blogspot.com/

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Your glass flowers are so creative and look beautiful as a garden of them! I recognize the deviled egg dish! lol

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Wow, what a bright spot of color until your blooms arrive. Love it!

Lynn said...

I am also wondering how you attached them to the stacks. They are beautiful!

Tamar SB said...

Those are so cool! Thanks for sharing!

bj said...

How colorful these are...really pretty.
Happy Ruby.....

Angela said...

These are so fun! I want to make some!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

very bright and colourful.

Claire said...

My kind of flowers no maintenance and in bloom all year long. I bet they look fantastic in the sun.

Anonymous said...

Oh how pretty these are! I love them. I can just imagine how they look when the sun catches just at the right spot! You're very clever and thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Villrose said...

A great idea! Would like some...

Jeanne said...

Hello All! Especially for Ann and Lynn - I currently attach the flowers with a bent spoon glued to the back. The spoon's oval part is flattened and glued upside down to the platter, the handle is bent toward the ground and slides into the conduit pipe. I'll try to do another blog showing the back. I experiment with glues, but occasionally the flower "heads" droop and fall off, and it is reattachment time. A friend who does these for sale uses a very different method. If I create another blog post I'll show both methods.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow, you have created some gorgeous ones! There is a lady that makes similar ones and sells them here at a vintage sale. I bet they are gorgeous when touched by the sun! Glad you're sharing them with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Muchmore Creative said...

Love these! I want to try to make some sometime. Have a great week :)

Christine at Little Brags said...

Hi Jeanne, thanks so much for leaving me some comment luv on my Easter Porch. I tried to reply directly to your comment, but you came up as a non reply blogger, but I tracked you down with the link to your blog!!!!! Thanks and Happy Spring! The glass flowers are soooo fun and playful looking!

Art and Sand said...

What a fun way to add color to your garden.

Thanks for sharing at SYC.

JES said...

How beautiful! I have never seen anything like this! Thank you for sharing at the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

Slice of Pie Cookbooks and Entertaining said...

These are fantastic! What kind of glue did you use? I've had trouble finding glue that really holds well ... Thanks so much for sharing.

Sylvia said...

Jeanne, I love your glass flowers. My favorites are the turquoise and the yellow sunflower ones. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

Beautiful and oh so colorful.

Cherie said...

They look incredible. I bet they are stunning on a sunny day

the cape on the corner said...

this is so awesome! my aunt gave us a bird bath made of vases and plates, i'd love to make her something like this bc she loves yard art.
thanks,
b

www.mysoulfulhome.com said...

Hey Jeanne - we just featured you! Come see! We'd love it if you shared our party too. LOVE your garden flowers! Thanks for linking up. http://mysoulfulhome.com/sundays-at-home-101/

My Cozy Corner said...

Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

marcela cavaglieri said...

Thank you for joining the party. Fantastic creations , great recycling idea!

Birgitta said...

These are so beautiful and creative! Thanks for sharing!

Gemma Wiseman said...

What a clever and creative idea. Each one is so very beautiful. My favourites are the yellow and the blue ones.

Rostrose said...

OMG Jeanne - I missed this post when you linked it to A NEW LIFE in March, but now I saw it and I'm thrilled! What a great job you did!! Big compliments!
Hugs from Austria, Traude
http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2016/04/a-new-life-4-leben-ohne-palmol.html

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just want to give you a big thumbs up for
your excellent info you've got here on this post. I will be coming back to your website
for more soon.

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I may like this web site.
He used to be totally right. This submit truly made my day.

You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this
info! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, great job!

Mascha said...

Wow, how cool is this!

Timothee Lambert said...

"I'm thoroughly impressed by the creativity displayed in this blog. The writer's unique perspective and engaging storytelling make it a pleasure to read. I'm hooked!"
Chena Hot Springs Resort Shuttle Coupon

Life Of 2 Snowbirds said...

You flowers are amazing! It must be so much fun walking around your yard with all these beauties sparkling around you!