Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fireworks!

Summerfest Big Bang Fireworks Milwaukee Selep Imaging

I've been to two sets of fireworks so far in June - and we haven't even hit the 4th of July!  These fireworks are from Summerfest's Big Bang fireworks display on the Milwaukee Lakefront.   

Milwaukee Discovery World Museum at night with Fireworks Selep Imaging

I took my photos from a spot near Milwaukee's Discovery World Museum, the cool looking building on the right.  It's a great place to catch reflections in the water.  A TV crew from channel 12 also had a camera nearby, which is why there is a "12" projected onto the museum.

For years now I've enjoyed photographing fireworks, playing with settings and techniques and exposures.  Photographing fireworks is so much more rewarding using a digital camera then when I did this with film.  My biggest hint : use a tripod...

Other then trial and error, does anyone have hints on finding the best spots to take firework photos?
Click on the images to see them enlarged.

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy...

Elves Chasm
Elves Chasm
Las Vegas
Las Vegas at Night
Chicago Garden








I am linking up to these memes:
This is my 7th entry to Mosaic Monday (I was entry 61 of 109+)
This is my 6th entry to Scenic Sunday (I was entry 59 of 61+).
This is my 29th entry to Outdoor Wednesday (I was entry 46 of 133+)
This is my 1st entry to SkyWatch Friday (I was entry 319 of 322+). 
This is my 2nd entry to Boardwalk Bragfest (I was entry 51.)
This is my 2nd entry to Wordful Wednesday. (I was entry 158.) 

16 comments:

The Gathering Place said...

Beautiful fireworks on the water! I am looking forward to July's fireworks here in Utah. Thanks!

Suzy said...

Fireworks are so much fun. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather on the 4th. We go down to the water and watch them.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wow! Gorgeous shots!

Doro said...

Thank you for sharing. I am impressed with your camera as mine would not have the speed to catch much. My old camera lost its ability to "see" last year - something to do with the sensor - so we bought a fairly inexpensive point and shoot to take with us on our honeymoon. It worked well for that purpose, but now that I'm trying to get night shots and detailed shots, I'm pretty unhappy. Would you mind sharing what type of camera you use? Please also share any frustrations you have with it.

Thanks!

Karen said...

Great pictures! Getting into the July4th spirit just looking at them.
Thanks for the visit.
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Anonymous said...

Wow~your fireworks mosaic is amazing! I can't ever get pictures of fireworks to come out as well using my tiny digital, you did a great job! Mary

Jeanne said...

These pictures were taken with a Nikon D200, which is a DSLR, a Digital Single Lens Reflex, IE, A camera with a big barrel lens.

I mount the camera on a tripod. The Camera is set to manual mode or Shutter mode almost the entire time I am shooting fireworks. I use a high ISO setting for fireworks. (800 ISO.) Then I play with the settings - Exposure & length of time the shutter is open. The shutter needs to be open a long time, hence the need for a tripod.

A Digital point can do these kind of manipulations, but you will have to leave the "auto" mode. Some cameras (the Nikon coolpix point and shoots, for example) do have a firework setting. Get out the manual, and expect to have lots of black shots or blurry shots for each good exposure when you start experimenting.

Photographing fireworks is a skill that takes time to develop.

Doro, what is your camera?

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty! Thanks for sharing with us. Have a great week.

Linda said...

Beautiful starbursts. And thanks for the technical tips.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Looks like you hit the Motherlode of fireworks shots to me...they're gorgeous!!!

Unknown said...

Fireworks, ahhhh. I love fireworks. Your mosaics are gorgeous.

Karen

Lori E said...

I would think it is really hard to photograph fireworks. I would be too busy ooohhhing and aaahhhhhing to remember to take the shot.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I am still a big kid when I get to see fireworks. My eyes get big as saucers and I ooh and aah. Terrific mosiac.

Unknown said...

the reflections on water is enchanting! i feel like a child when i see fireworks.:p

LV said...

In younger days, I had my fun with fireworks. The city has not started them yet for this year. There will be plenty over the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I would sure want to frame those beautiful pieces!