Thursday, October 8, 2009

Garden Horses

vintage garden playground horses sculpture
I am 'recyling' an older blog post, to post in some of my favorite vintage memes.  So here is the original post:

It's fun to share treasure - That's the idea behind Show and Tell Fridays. On Show and Tell Fridays, participating bloggers "show" something special that they own and have in their home or garden.

My Show and Tell item was one of my two top finds in 2008 - and the treasure was free!
vintage carousel horse playground equipment
In October of 2008, I drove past these two carousel horse statues sitting by a curb. These are probably 1950's era playground structures made of solid concrete with a solid concrete base. They were at the curb outside of a business building. Free to a good home, they were available for the hauling. Easier said then done, so I got to take them home with a fair amount of help!

I like to imaging that my horses gallop around the backyard when I am not looking, in the grass and snow. They make me smile, they are whimsical. Guests either love them, want to paint them, or roll eyes at Carl and ask where I got them. (So... did you actually PAY any money for them? they want to ask.) Some kids want photos taken on them. My bemused husband doesn't get it, but he did help me move it. (Thanks honey!)

Originally, I planned to mosaic one of them, but now I think that might hide their chubby lines, which I have grown fond of. I do want to paint the one that was partially painted - finish the job better. In the meanwhile, I let them be.

This final photo shows one of the reasons I like them so much. When the snow is not around in winter, they are the prettiest things in my back yard while I wait for spring. They aren't quite the lines of the carousel horses I admire on merry-go-rounds and carousels, but they grow on you when the ground is gray brown.

This is the first time I am participating in the meme "Show and Tell".  For more show and tell items, visit http://romantichome.blogspot.com


Update:  They are covered in snow today in Wisconsin!

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy...

Heart Window
Angel Window
Madonna Window
Beveled Window
Stained Glass
Tree Pins
Book Treasure
Garden Horses
Antique Trunk
Marbles
Eggs of Stone
Egg-stavaganza



























I am linking up to these memes:
Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingies Thur (I was entry 57 of 60).
Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday 100 (I was entry 113 of 120)
Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thur 30 (I was entry 44 of 49)
Common Gnd for Vintage Inspiration Fri (I was entry 43)
French Country for Feathered Nest Fri #20 (I was entry 59 of 115)
Pink Postcard for Transform and Treasure #1 (I was entry 16) 
Laurie for Favorite Things Sat (I was entry 44)
Under the Table for Sunday Showcase (I was entry 218)
Roses for Show off your Cottage Monday (I was entry )
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays (Entry )House of Grace for Twice Owned Tuesday (Entry )
A La Carte for Finds Friday 12 (I was entry )

24 comments:

Gattina said...

What a bargain ! that's really a wonderful decoration for a garden !

Gee said...

You are lucky to have something like that in the garden. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

Hootin Anni said...

What luck! What a find! What a treasure!!!!

My Show n Tell is another craft project I just finished this week. You can find it here at this link

Have a glorious weekend.

Nany said...

I wanna play in your garden.

Rebekah@Red's Nest said...

Oh, what a find! Much better than any of mine. My husband Carl is always afraid to see what I drag home off the curbs. I have a small BMW and I've packed all sorts of curbfinds in the back of it. He just rolls his eyes and smiles... I'm smiling for you today.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a great find - free is good. :)

Maya said...

What a unique and awesome find and treat for the kids!

Sue said...

If I was a kid, I would want my picture taken on them too!
Blessings~LillySue

RobinfromCA said...

How fun! These are such a great find - I love them!

Robin

Lenore said...

Now how darling are these carousel horses?????? And for free!!!!!!!....you can't beat that!

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh...those are amazing and I think I would have picked them up too! I don't know where I would have put them because I don't have a big backyard like you!!! Thanks for joining in on Show an Tell!

Susan B said...

What a great find! They are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Hi! I Love them. They are whimsical and not something that all your other neighbors would have so that makes them extra special. I'm proud of you for going with the moment and snatching them up, rather than driving by and smiling at them wistfully and then regretting them later. And your hubby should get an A+ for helping. I have one of those, too, a hubby who sees love in my eyes at a really great find then helps me get it!

Smile!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Well, I love ornaments in gardens and yards. And so I love your prancing horses!
Brenda

Sharlotte said...

What great finds! How ever were you able to load them when they're made of concrete? They are so unique...I'll bet they are really pretty too in winter! Thanks for sharing!

Fifi Flowers said...

THose horses are ADORABLE!!!

Noble Vintage said...

I just love finds like this! What an awesome addition to your yard. I love when things like this add so much fun and life to a home. You are a lucky girl. thank you so much for linking up!

Ruby said...

I love their chubby lines too! Such a great find and a special DH to help you bring them home!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a find, I can't imagine driving past these beauties! Thanks for linking up to VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Hi! I just found your blog via Feathered Nest Friday....a fellow Wisconsinite here; just outside Milwaukee!
I love your sweet garden horses! They are too fun! I would have grabbed them up for myself too. They are quite special!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Oh they are just darling and what fantastic finds AND deals!! Wow! Love them outside too- so sweet! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh how lucky that you drove by when they were on the curb. They are magical. I love them! Thank you for linking these two to Favorite Things. laurie

the cape on the corner said...

absolutely the best thing ever! how wonderful that you were able to scoop these free horses up-so different! love it!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

How fun, Jeanne! I would love to have something like that for my granddaughter when she comes to visit. I think they're cute and whimsical. I would be tempted to paint them in fantasy colors, reminiscent of a vintage merry-go-round.

Thanks for linking to the party. It's good to have you each week.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/