Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Art Journals, Part 2

A friend may well be reckoned a masterpiece of nature Emerson Quote by Jeanne Selep
Emerson Quote page in my Art Journal
My original art journal project had issues. I have been enjoying the process of resolving them.  The issue I'll mention today is the handwriting problem - I disliked my hand writing, and felt it wrecked the work I put into creating my beautiful papers.

It is love that holds the world together at its core Goethe Quote by Jeanne Selep
Goethe Quote Mixed Media page

A friend encouraged me to take a class she had taken - a brush lettering course taught by Emily Gail.  A single morning brush lettering class greatly improved my handwriting!  It went from a 2 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10.  That's a 100% improvement!


A friend may well be reckoned a masterpiece of nature Emerson Quote
Emerson Quote page in my Large Art Journal

The teacher's beautiful writing (none shown in this post) is way better than my shaky script, but I was happy with my writing and progress, for a whole bunch of reasons. 


College Student mixed Media art journal by Jeanne Selep
College Student Art Journal messages Set 1
I enjoyed practicing (a bit), so now I now think my writing is better than a 4.  I practiced so much I decided to create mini books for my college students to hopefully inspire them.  I get to create and play with more papers and create an heirloom for my children sharing wisdom I believe in.



College Student mixed Media art journal by Jeanne Selep
College Student Art Journal Messages set 2

If my kids aren't encouraged, I am.  Writing out "Talent is rarely distinguishable, over the long run, 
from perseverance and 
lots of hard work"
over 10 times improves the handwriting, and 
I begin to believe what I am writing.


Talent and Vision Art Journal Pages
Talent and Vision Art Journal Pages

The best way to practice lettering using the special "brush" marker is on vellum, which I can cut out and attach to the art journal pages.  
I AM NO LONGER WRECKING ANY PAGES!!!

Done is Better than Good Art Journal pages
Done is Better than Good Art Journal pages
As my lettering improves, I can and do replace the vellum with the improved version - I become very happy, because "Done is better than good!", and I am "done" with a lot more pages now.

Done is Better than Good Art Journal page by Jeanne Selep
"Done is better than Good" Quote in my Journal

(By the way, my college kids get the black "comb" binding journals, and my small art journal is the one with the 2 silver rings.)


(The hand lettering class taught by Emily Gail at Village Paper and Ink in Greendale Wisconsin was an great addition to my journal!  Emily is an awesome teacher, and I recommend her classes if you are that lucky, or else there are youtube videos on brush lettering.)

(See my first Art Journal post here) 



Click on the images to see them enlarged.

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy...

Mixed Media 1
Mixed Media 2
Spring Gift Tags
Eggs of stone
Eggs-travaganza
Spring Tulips
Spring in Chicago
Spring Needlework


















I am linking up to these parties:

Gingersnap crafts:Wow me Wed 351 (Entry x)
Girlish Whims: Whims Wednesday 355 (Entry 165)
Jan Olson: Share your Cup of Tea Thur 290 (Entry 57)

Delightsome Life: Home and Garden Thurs 325 (Entry 135)
My husband: Beautifully Made 11 (Entry 38b)
Grandmas House: Wed Party 87 (Entry 111b) 

Katherine: Thurs Favorite Things (Entry 36 of 216)
Imparting Grace: Grace at Home 299 9:30A Th (Entry 53 of 87)
French Country: Feather Nest Fri (Entry 62 of )
Mythriftstoreaddiction: Vintage Charm 133 (Entry 32)
Richfaithrising: Blog Party (Entry 17)
Designthusiasm: Style Showcase 29 (Entry x)
Chic: Flaunt it Friday 403 (Entry 64 of 85)
Ms Toodygooshoes: Best of the weekend 123 (Entry 16)
Little Farmstead: Sundays Home Sa 7p (Entry 79)
Same as above: Maison de Cinq: Sundays Home (Entry 79)
Darling Diaries: Good Morning Mon 169 (Entry 24)
Silver Pennies: Sundays Party 264 (Entry 65)
Rustic Refined: Dishing it and Diggin it 201 (Entry 37)
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 272 (Entry 163)
Marcela Cavaglieri: Frugal Find 215 (Entry 4 of 14)
Jembellish: A-Round-Tuit 415 (Entry 55)
Create with Joy: Inspire me Mon 333 (Entry 105)
Fromgardners: Handmade Hangout Th 5pm 207 (Entry 25)
Create with Joy: Inspire me Mon 329 (Entry 4)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 486 (Entry x)
Good Random Fun: Good Random Fun (Entry 30)
TumbleContessa: Whatd-do-Weekend 273 (Entry 97)
* Stroll Life: Inspire Me Tues Mon 5p 424 (Entry 4)
Maria Elena: Tue at Our Home Mon 258 (Entry 42)
Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me Mon 4p 217 (Entry 141)
Cedarhill Farmhouse: The Scoop Mon 5p 327 (Entry 1)
Skip to my Lou: Made by you Mon 109 (Entry 80)
Oh my hearts: Heartsie girls Wonderful Wed 108 (Entry 14)
How to Home: Project Inspired Mon 7p 274 (Entry 4)
Celebrate: Celebrate Story 129 (Entry 75 of 132)
Dedicated House: Make it Pretty Mon 8p 242 (Entry 13 of 81)
Interior frugalista: Talk of the Town Tu 6p 120 (Entry 11 of 111)
My Repurposed Life: Talk of the Town 124 (Entry 11 of 111)
Savvy Style: Wow Us Wed 388 (Entry 241 of 286)
21Rosemarylane: Share Your Style 171 Wed 6p (Entry 5)
* Designthusiasm: Style Showcase 26 (Entry)

321959

11 comments:

Louca por porcelana said...

Beautiful artwork!Great progress on your handwriting.Hugs!

Wendi@H2OBungalow said...

You are inspiring! I have awful handwriting and also a set of brushes from a class I'd taken a few years back. Your improvement is terrific and so are your journals! Maybe it's time to dig brushes out and dust them off! LOL

Pam said...

So nice to meet you from the Create with Joy linkup! We have some things in common--I, too, love art, photography, and reading! (I'm REALLY into brush lettering and pointed pen calligraphy.) I have two "twenty-something" kids. Your blog is lovely!

My thrift store addiction said...

Your art journal is beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

It is beautiful! Your practicing certainly paid off. :) Thanks for sharing wiht SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Marta Garcรญa Sanz said...

Bonito trabajo.

Besos ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Tarahlynn said...

Thanks for sharing with us at the to Grandma's house we go link party!

marcela cavaglieri said...

Love how you tackled the lettering technique. It requires lots of practice and a very light hand and you are definitely getting it, congratulations!

Eli R. said...

Me ha gustado lo que he visto! Lindo!
Saludos
Eli R.

Katie Mansfield said...

Beautiful. Great job. Thanks for linking to Keep In Touch.

Mia said...

Your writing is simply amazing!
I wish I could attend this class too, but I am living in Greece!
Thank you for your advice to watch YouTube videos. I will definitely do it.
Hugs!!!