Saturday, December 14, 2013

Fantastic Christmas Quilt

Merry Christmas!
Applique Christmas snowman quilt block by Miriam L Meier
Snowman block in Miriam Meier's Christmas quilt
One of the most beautiful Christmas quilts I have ever seen is the "Baltimore Christmas" Quilt by Miriam L. Meier from Reedsville, Wisconsin.  This exquisitely appliqued quilt, shown below, has many beautiful Christmas blocks.  

Christmas Baltimore quilt by Miriam L Meier
"Baltimore Christmas" by Miriam L. Meier of Wisconsin
Miriam Meier's "Baltimore Christmas" quilt has a large Santa applique in the center of the quilt surrounded by a square of twelve beautiful blocks, framed by a wide sashed border.  Each of the blocks are festive and unique, and Miriam's applique work, embroidered details, and color choices feel perfect.  

Christmas Baltimore quilt by Miriam L Meier
Gingerbread men and candy block in Miriam Meier's quilt

For me, the best way to enjoy a Baltimore style quilt is to view the overall quilt, and then pause and study each of the different blocks making up the quilt.

Christmas Baltimore quilt by Miriam L Meier
Gingerbread house block in Miriam Meier's Christmas quilt

In a busy quilt show, it isn't always easy to take take the time to slow down an study each block like it is it's own quilt.  But since applique quilts take so long to create, taking more time to view the quilt makes sense to me.  And I always feel rewarded for the effort. 

Christmas Baltimore quilt block by Miriam L Meier
Bells and bow block in Miriam Meier's Christmas quilt

Baltimore style quilts are created by time consuming hand applique work, and I wish I had the patience to  complete even one of the blocks shown.  I have attempted appliqueing small items, and I know how time consuming the technique is.  Hand applique work has few short cuts.   

I saw Miriam's quilt at the Madison Quilt Expo in September 2013.

Click on the images to see them enlarged. 


If you enjoyed this post you might also like:


Batik Stars Quilt
Batik Scrap Quilt
batik quilt
Circle Quilt
heart quilt
Heart Quilt
Window
Angel Window
Window
Madonna Window
christmas china hutch
Christmas Hutch
Tree Pins

















I am linking up to these memes:

Confessions Fabric: Whoop Whoop Fri (Entry 58)
Sew can she: Sat Linky party (Entry 2) 
ihavetosay: Show-and-tell Tue (Entry 10)
Connie at Freemotion: Linky Tuesday (Entry 19)

Quilt story: Fabric Tuesday (Entry 31)
Blossomheart: Sew Cute Tue (Entry 11)  
Colorful life: Really random Thur (Entry 27)
Pretty bobbins: Thur Quilt linky party (Entryjan2)
Hotpinkquilts :Finished Fri (Entry )
Richard/Tanya quilts: Link a Finish Friday 93 (Entry )
Quilt Infatuation: Needle-and-thread Thur (
Entryjan2)
Sew darn crafty: Thank God its Finished Fri (Entry)
* Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tues (Entry 19)
Someday Crafts: What Ever Goes Wed 201 (Entry 235) 
Sew Much Ado: We Did It Wed 185 (Entry 155)
Brambleberry Cottage: Time Travel Thur 179 (Entry 51)
Thrifty Grove: Thrifty Things Fri 139 (Entry 18)
Tatertots: Party Palooza (Entry 358)
Funky Junk: Christmas (Entry 19) 

142441

21 comments:

Villrose said...

Beautiful quilts!

Suzan said...

That is the most beautiful, detailed quilt!! Must have taken forever!! Just lovely!

M-R Charbonneau said...

That is one stunning quilt!

michele said...

love the gingerbread house part of the exquisite piece!

found you via the blog party and hope you'll stop by my site today! http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2013/12/merry-christmas-votre-vu-giveaway.html

happy holidays, and smiles to you.

michele

Army Wife Quilter said...

wow that is totally awesome.

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

This is such a beautiful Christmas Baltimore Applique quilt. Love the whimsy of it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Amazing!

Life at Still Woods said...

The quilts are gorgeous! I have always wanted to quilt and love looking and quilts across the ages. Some of my most treasured items are quilts made by my great grandmother. They are simply "country" quilts made with leftover fabric, the beauty is in the hand stitching and the love I know she put into them. I am a new follower of your blog! I would be honored if you stopped by Still Woods Farmhouse for a visit.
Blessings from Still Woods

Anonymous said...

Miriam's quilt is jaw-dropping gorgeous! I'd say it qualifies as art. Wow!!!

LV said...

I am a big lover of guilts any design. I have several vintage and new. However, I have never seen anything to compare to this. Absolutely mind boggling. What amazing workmanship. I woulds think I had died and gone to heaven just to touch one like this.

Warm Heart Bears said...

Hello Jeanne,

What a beautiful and fun quilt!
So much detail and fine work!
Thank you for sharing.

Bear Hugs,
Carolyn

Katherines Corner said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Wishing you a lovely weekend and a very Merry Christmas♥

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is a stunning Quilt! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my, that is gorgeous! Because I have done applique myself, I know the hours that were spent making this. Thanks so much for sharing with SYC. Love it! Have a very Merry Christmas!
hugs,
Jann

Domesblissity said...

My word. That is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for linking up to Thriving on Thursdays. This has been featured in my weekly Christmas Roundup this evening.

Merry Christmas.

Anne xx

Maria said...

love your quilt, its so beautiful

how many hours did that take! Hope you had a great holiday season and happy new year

http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh my, what gorgeous quilts! I just love them. Each one is so charming! Thank you for sharing at my HOME and Happy New Year!

Christmas blessings,
Sandi

Josie said...

These are absolutely stunning!

Unknown said...

this is designed by a Miss Pereira who owns P3 designs. She is wonderful!

Unknown said...

this is by P3 designs.