Monday, June 13, 2011

Spring and Summer Hutch

Schumann Bavaria China in Cabinet Welsh Dresser
Spring China Vignette

It's been a long time since I posted on this blog.  April and May were busy months, with birthday parties, a baptism, the children's school 'Spring break' (4 children not going to school for a week...), Easter and much more.  Now it's mid June, and the children are out of school, so I have time to blog on the PC - (I don't have to fight the children for the computer use...  ;) 

Spring China Display featuring Schumann Bavaria china
 

In March I changed my china in my Welsh dresser to an Easter / Spring display, and today I am going to share that.  (Even though it is now JUNE.  Our weather has been over 90 degrees recently, and so I want to publish this post so I can move on to summer posts.)  

Schumann Bavaria China cabinet Welsh Dresser
The hutch sits in a room that has only one window, and that window faces north.  The soft light makes the china glow nicely to the eye, but the camera doesn't see that.  Using a tripod and a long exposure works nicely at other times of the year, but not this March.  I didn't want to use on-camera flash, but I also didn't want to set up a more elaborate lighting scheme.  I want fast and simple blog photos.  Sigh... I guess I just want easy...  In the end, most of these photos use on-camera flash.  The photo to the left of the entire Welsh dresser has no flash.  


There is a large set of Schumann Bavaria china in this hutch arrangement, purchased recently at an estate sale.  In February 2011 I went to an antique show and saw some beautiful Schumann Bavaria  'hand-painted' plates with holes punched in the edges.  (People call plates with holes pierced or reticulated - Reticulated meaning forming a net or network as in the veins of some leaves).

Schumann Bavaria china sugar bowl
Schumann Bavaria sugar bowl

The price for one larger reticulated plate from the antique dealer was over $100 dollars.  Later, at an estate sale, I saw the desert set shown (one large plate, 10 reticulated cake plates, 10 teacups and saucers, sugar and creamer, tea and coffee pot, (one missing lid) for about that amount.  There was only one large plate in the set, but I also liked the rest of the set...  I could not resist.  Retail therapy is fun therapy.  I brought the set home and set up my Easter / Spring display.

The desert set of china that I bought, the "Schumann Bavaria" china, is NOT hand painted, as far as I can tell.  The plates at the antique sale I saw were labeled "hand painted", but even at the time I remember wondering - really?  In fact, the collector of china that I am, I remain confused about what qualifies as 'hand painted'.  Sometimes I think that a set is called 'hand painted' if the gilding or a couple of stokes are applied by hand. 

Hand painted china

 

The two plates above, and the trinket box (by Fitz and Floyd) in front of the plates are hand painted.  The vase with violets shown below is also hand painted. These hand-painted 'treasures' I found at various rummage sales.  

Otagiri Birds
Violets on china and Otagiri Birds

The baby chick salt and pepper shakers below were another funny find - I think the chicks are kind of homely, but they were under $1.00 so I bought them to give them a good home.  Don't you think the dots for their eyes should be a lot larger?

Vintage Salt and Pepper Shaker Easter Chicks
Baby Chicks salt and pepper shakers


Click on the images to see them enlarged.


If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

hutch display
My Collection of all Hutch Posts!




























   







Linking up to these memes: 
Roses: Show off your Cottage Mon (Entry 19 of 77) 
Boogie Board: Masterpiece Mon 24 (Entry 48 of 108)
Dittle Dattle: Amaze Me Mon (Entry 132 of 264).
Apron Girl: Thrift Share Monday (Entry 28 of 79)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday (Entry 250 of 310.)
Costal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tues 67 (Entry 89 of 221.)
Nesting Place : I Heart Yard Sales (* Entry 92 of 157)
Uncommon Slice: Tues Treasures  (Entry 47 of 99) 
Get Your Craft On Tues (Entry 385 of 399.)
Trendy Tree: Creative Share Wed (Entry 27 of 188) votes
Beach Cottage: Good Life Wed (Entry 77 of 99)
Savvy Style: Wow Us Wed (Entry 7 of 221.)
Elements Interior: Whassup Wed (Entry 25 of 103.)
Anything Related 52 (Entry 154 of 181.)
Thrifty Home: Penny Pinching 90 (Entry 79 of 100.)  
Piece of work Wed Furniture only
Blue Creek: reasure Hunt Thurs 11, (Entry 11 of 21.) vote
Col Lady: Vintage Thingies Thur (Entry 18 of 34.)
Brambleberry Cottage: Time Travel Thur 49 (Entry 14 of 65)
Romantic Home: Show and Tell (Entry 9 of 314) 
Hodgepodge Friday 16 (Entry 44 of 171)
Common Ground: Vint Inspiration 42 (Entry 34 of 124)
Charm of Home: Home Sweet Home 19 (Entry 28 of 75)
French Country: Feathered Nest Fri * (Entry 43 of 230).
Thrifty Things Friday 12 (Entry 25 of 41) vote
Flaunt it Friday 59 (Entry 66 of 293) 
Frugalicious Friday (Entry 53 of 265) 
Picket Fence: Inspiration Fri (Entry 99 of 202) 
No Minimalist Here: Open House (Entry 76 of 81) 
Pink Saturday (Entry 110 of 201)
Funky Junk: Saturday Night Special 70 (Entry 163)
Library Adventures: Flea Market Finds ( Entry 49)
Making the World Cuter Mon (Entry 303 of 350) vote
Toot Your Horn Tues (Entry 118)
Southern Hosp: Fun Finds *

24641

33 comments:

Sweetladyelaine said...

Love your china...you display it nicely in your hutch. You certainly have joined alot of parties. I am fairly new to blogging and am trying to join different parties. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings My Friend,

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Your hutch displays (all of them) are just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I especially like this one with all the florals. Your Bavarian pieces are stunning.

Nancy

gengen said...

They look pretty. Happy NTT! MIne is up too.

imriz said...

elegant hutch display. wished i could have one of those, too:)

Savannah Granny said...

Oh my! How beautiful. Not only is this collection breathtaking some of the other china that I viewed was just as pretty. You certainly have a good eye for the fine stuff. Such a great buy you got at the estate sale.
I am a new follower as we have similar interest. I am not so knowledgable I just know what I like.
Please visit me. Maybe you would like to follow me as well. Ginger:)

Savannah Granny said...

Hi, I forgot to say, I love the yellow chicks. You are right they need larger eyes or eyeglasses. LOL. Ginger :)

Karen said...

Beautiful china and I love those bird salt and pepper shakers, they are too cute.

Katherines Corner said...

so pretty. I love the trinket box! I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs!

Tammy said...

Wow, what a collection.

The French Hutch said...

I am so happy to have found your blog. I love all of your love collections and your seasonal hutch. Love at first sight. I look forward to taking a tour of your blog and I'll be your newest follower.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Anonymous said...

Your china is lovely! But I love (!) the little chicks salt and pepper. I think they are perfect just the way the are.

Bridget

Madison said...

Beautiful! I love all your dresser display. I have the same problems with taking photos of my dresser. I tried picnik.com to tweak the brightness and contrast of the photos It is very quick to do and it helps a little.

Madison xxx

LV said...

You have a wonderful collection in china. The way you have it displayed and use is very pretty.

abeachcottage said...

You have such a wonderful china collection. They look so delicate and pretty. Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

CoopDeVilla said...

Your collection is absolutely stunning. I really love the little yellow chicks. So glad to have found your blog. I now follow. Hugs to you.
Patty

Karie said...

Your china collection is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Karie

Blue Creek Home said...

That china pattern is absolutely stunning - I love it...I want it!!!!
I had to laugh about the little homely chicks eyes! You might just have to chase them down with a little black marker and fix that!
Thanks for coming to THT.
Rhonda

Unknown said...

HEre from show and tell Friday's...great hutch and china, I am IN LOVE with all things pretty like this. :) have a great weekend.

The Tablescaper said...

I love your hutch and all of the beautiful china displayed in it. It's gorgeous. I'd love to have your join in Seasonal Sundays with this magnificent display.

- The Tablescaper

Lori E said...

The plate with the blackberries is so beautiful. Mouthwatering without any food on it even.
I think Fitz & Floyd have such nice, rich colors that stand out in comparison to others. I am trying to visit every one of my blog followers. Some I am in contact with all the time but others have been MIA and we have lost touch. I want all of my blog buddies to know that I appreciate them.

Diann said...

Just gorgeous! I love it all. Such a beautiful display! thank you for joining TTF and I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Glennis said...

What pretty china. It all looks so wonderful displayed in your hutch. Have a lovely Pink Saturday and a great weekend.

The Charm of Home said...

Have I told you that I covet your Welsh dresser. LOL I have really liked this piece of furniture for twenty years and I still don't have one. Your is the classic dresser, perfect in every way. Love the china too. Thanks for linking it up to HSH!
Sherry

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What beautiful china and your hutch is gorgeous! Thank you for joining my Open House party this week.
xo,
Sherry

Ava said...

What a gorgeous dresser and I love your china xx Ava from Australia ( I have four children and totally get the battle for computer time !)

Necessary Inspiration said...

Your hutch and the things you have on it are beautiful. I love everything! Thanks for comments you left on my posts. Linda

laxsupermom said...

What beautiful china! I've been slowly adding to my china collection, but your hutch is absolutely drool worthy! Love the chicks, too. Thanks for sharing.

lanakwaustin@att.net said...

Great hutch, wonderful china and awesome photos! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving comments! You ROCK!!!!

Hugs/blessings,
Lana

Linda Q said...

Love all your china in the hutch, very pretty display. And thanks so much for stopping by my blog!
Blessings,
Linda

Entertaining Women said...

Your Schumann Empress Dresden Flowers is beautiful. I have a set of the same, and it is such a pleasure to use. Thank you for sharing your lovely display in your hutch. Cherry Kay

beth said...

Holy cow finally some one else that changes their hutch as much as I do. Awesome ! Love it !

Unknown said...

Wow! Everything is so beautiful! I have a huge collection of bird figurines. I am a new Follower of your blog. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Kathy said...

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! I smiled when I saw your comment about the pinpoint eyes on the chicks. When I have eyes on a (non valuable) figurine, I just repaint them with black or a dark brown acrylic paint, sometimes adding a white glare spot or "comma". Then coating them with clear nail polish gives them a lifelife shine--and makes it harder for them to be scraped/scratched. A toothpick tip, tip of a paintbrush, or pencil works well for me as I can't paint detail with a brush well at all!