Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas Stockings Show and Tell

These Christmas stockings are my "heirloom" stockings that I made almost 15 years ago.



They were for my baby boy, my husband, and me. Then I had more children, and they became the children's. Then I had four children, and I got behind. I have started, (but not completed) a fourth stocking. My 'baby' is now 10 years old.



I was originally inspired by some vintage (antique?) lace I had. I wanted to use the lace in projects that will be treasured, so that others can see the beauty of the lace too.


The above star lace with the delicate leaves at the top is one of my favorite pieces of lace. (Well, one of the favorite pieces that I own, at least). That was originally my stocking.



The next lace (shown above) is crocheted, and I have always wondered if it was crocheted by hand. Both laces came from the estate of a German relative, and both are more then 3 inches wide top to bottom
.

The third piece of lace I bought at a modern fabric store, and embellished with pearl beads.

The fabrics I used were fabrics from sample books I collected to use, Robert Allen and more. I loved the rich textures, but the sample pieces are usually quite small.
I pieced the stocking cloth using a foundation piecing method. These stockings should last.

I had originally planned on "Crazy Quilting" the stockings, but I could never bring myself to do it - I think it would detract from the rich fabrics and the lace.

Maybe I'll show some in-process photos from the fourth stocking - In another blog. It won't be done by St. Nicks, December 6th, unfortunately. In the Midwest, (Well, Wisconsin at least) many of the German descent people who have been here for awhile put out shoes, or stockings so that St. Nick can fill them with Candy. I think the custom is Dutch, and you are supposed to use wooden shoes, but customs morph. Anyone else out there celebrate St Nicks?

Click on the photos to see them enlarged - the detail in the lace is fantastic! (I look at these now and think the contemporary (80's) stocking shape doesn't really fit with the vintage feeling I was going for, but that is my "10 years" later opinion.)

For Show and Tell items, visit My Romantic Home (I was entry 31 out of 91)

For Transformation Thursday items, visit The Shabby Chic Cottage (I was entry 86 out of 103)

For Thrifty Thursday items, visit Thrifty Thursdays (I was entry 31 out of 34)

For Best of Crafts items, visit House of Grace (I was entry 23 out of 50)

23 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi, Jeanne,
The stockings you made are so pretty and hold so many memories for you and your family! I love the vintage lace on them! Thank you for sharing! Blessings to you! Vicki

Gattina said...

Your stockings are really beautiful ! I could never do that, but that you are 10 years late with one, by the time you get a 4th, be careful that it won't be the first for your grandchild, lol !

Kammy said...

Great stockings and I know what you mean about getting behind on the kids...LOL !
Kammy

Hootin Anni said...

You'd better get crackin'!!! Your 'baby' will be a grown up soon. Love the patterns for each stocking.

Come see what I did with my blue cobalt glass candle holder I found at the antique store...


CLICK HERE

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

The lace is just gorgeous. Your fabric combinations are great too. Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to have to come back for another visit.

Tricia said...

Beautiful stockings and lace! I made a crazy quilt front for a stocking when my ds was a baby. He's 24 now! Never finished the stitching. Maybe I'll finish it for a grandchild. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

Tricia

Marigene said...

Beautiful stockings!

Blue Creek Home said...

I love handmade stockings with a sweet story!! They are all precious.

Rhonda

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Your Stockings are BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks for linking up! : )

Robyn said...

Gorgeous stockings thanks for sharing! I am also a photog so I enjoyed your art it's lovely!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Sweet stockings and cute story how they found new owners. Maybe this will be the year to finish #4 :) If not, there's always next.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanne, Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your stockings look great!

Hootin Anni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hootin Anni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hootin Anni said...

Sorry, for the two deletions above, I had misread your comment question and typed how to link in a blog POST instead of in someone's comment.

Okay, here is how you add an active link in a comment.

I want to link my post for today in your comments...I would copy the permalink [in Blogger the TITLE of your post is the permalink...click on the title and you'll get the permalink]...copy that from the address bar. Then, type <*a href="THE COPIED LINK FROM YOUR TITLE URL GOES HERE BETWEEN THE QUOTATION MARKS">click here<*/a>

WHEN YOU DO THIS, make sure you take out the asterisks...!!!!! I had to add the asterisks to have it show up here without linking.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Those are super cute!

trish said...

What lovely stockings. I am looking to learn how to sew them myself. I hope to one day have special memories of them as well. :o) Tricia Anne

Ally's Corner said...

Very neat shockings, what great memories!

Diann said...

What wonderful stockings!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

These are absolute treasures....because they are handmade with LOVE!Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday, sweet friend!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love the gorgeous pieces of lace you used on the crazy quilt stockings!

Unknown said...

Hi Jeanne, thanks for posting these on my blog. They are really beautiful and I love the care and sentiment that you are putting into each one. We will certainly take it into consideration for inclusion in our book of crafts!
Live, Love, Laugh!
Mary

Christine said...

they're beautiful!