Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grand Canyon Indian ruins, Day 2

Nankoweap Granary Indian Ruins Grand Canyon Arizona by Selep Imaging
Nankoweap Granaries Indian ruins, Grand Canyon wall.
It has been quite some time since I posted anything from my Grand Canyon rafting trip. These photos are from a hike some of the group took on Thursday, May 21, 2009, the second day of rafting, after we set up our camp for the evening.  Above, my daughter looks up at the Nankoweap Granaries, believed to have been built by Anasazi Indian in about 1100AD.
 
Colorado River Grand Canyon Arizona by Jeanne Selep Imaging
Colorado River, Grand Canyon, Arizona
This is the view of the Colorado River running through the Grand Canyon.  We are about 52 miles from our Lee's Ferry starting point.  Our group's two rafts are in the lower right blue water.  You have to know the raft is there to see it. 

Grand Canyon hiking trail to Nanokweap Grainary Indian ruins by Jeanne Selep
Hiking on trail to Nankoweap Grainary Indian ruins, Grand Canyon
We walked on an Indian trail up to the Nankoweap Granaries ruin about 700 feet above the river.  The structure was thought to be used by Anasazi Indians for food grain storage that would have been inaccessible to most animals. 

Grand Canyon hiking trail to Indian Ruins
We are up high.  There are no rails.  Do not kick stones.
I wanted to show you where the raft is, so you can get an idea of how high up we are.  Also notice the tiny people down the path.  It was an amazing hike and an awesome view. 

Grand Canyon Nankoweap Granaries Indian Ruins by Jeanne Selep Imaging
Nankoweap Granaries Indian ruin, Grand Canyon.  Getting this angle was hard. 

It is hard to get a feel for this spot with my limited camera lens.  The 360 view was fantastic.  The vast dimensions, scale of the valley, height of the canyon below and above and across from us, the colors and textures are impossible to capture.  I photo merged two photos to create the view above. 


Click on the images to see them larger.


If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

Grand Canyon intro
GC Getting There
GC Lees Ferry
GC Navajo Bridge
Nankoweap Granaries
Grand Canyon Ruins
GC Running Rapids
GC River View
Elves Chasm



















 
This is my 8th entry to the meme Scenic Sunday (I was entry 44). 
This is my 29th contribution to the meme Outdoor Wednesday (I was entry 45)



If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy...

Running Rapids in the Grand Canyon.running rapids on the Colorado River Grand Canyon




Day 1 Part 1 of my 2009 rafting trip in the Grand Canyon.

 

life jacket
Day 1 Part 2 of my 2009 rafting trip in the Grand Canyon.

10 comments:

indicaspecies said...

Very beautiful pictures.
Reminded me of my trip to Petra, Jordan.

eileeninmd said...

Looks like you had a great trip rafting on the Colorado river. The Grand Canyon scenery and the Indian ruins are beautiful.

Gaelyn said...

Magnificent! I'm rather jealous of your river trip. That looks like the Nakoweap granary.

Jenn said...

Awesome pics! My boyfriend guided a private rafting trip down the Colorado River last year. He can't stop talking about it. He has some amazing photos as well. He guides rivers here in the Philippines. :-)

Thanks for dropping by and for leaving a wonderful comment. Take care! and All the best!

LV said...

This looks like great fun for those that can endure it. I would never be able to even consider such an outing.

Donnie said...

That was so interesting. Beautiful scenery. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I just added your feed to my favorites. I really enjoy reading your posts..

Anonymous said...

Simple and sweet. I’m thinking of starting another blog or five pretty soon, and I’ll definitely consider this theme. Keep ‘em coming!.

grand canyon river rafting said...

It's amazing pictures, I love it! How i wish to visit there soon. Thanks for sharing!

grand canyon river rafting

Anonymous said...

Your way of telling all in this piece of writing is in fact fastidious, every one can easily know it, Thanks
a lot.