Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Rocking my Rock Window

Agate Geode Rock Window by Jeanne Selep
Image 1: Agate Geode Rock Window by Jeanne Selep, backlit by sunlight

I made my Agate Geode Rock Window during the pandemic, and I can honestly say it changed my life!  (details near end...)


Silicate SIo4 SUO2 AGATE GEODE Rock Slice Window Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 2: Detail view of Agate Rock Window

I had a collection of agate geode rock slices purchased over decades that I wanted to display or use somehow.  Inspired by Sigmar Polke's stained glass windows in Zurich, Switzerland (see below), I decided to use my agate slices to create a window of my own.  This way, I could actually use my collection of rock slices instead of storing them wrapped in dusty bubble wrap in a crumbled brown paper bag in a brown box. (Can anyone relate?)


Agate Geode Rock Window by Jeanne Selep
Image 3: Agate Rock Slice Window on a Snowy Day

This was going to be a fast project, using a repurposed vintage window I already owned.  I was not attempting Polke's stained glass masterpiece, constructed to last for centuries; and I wasn't going to cut stones to fill in every square inch, either. 


Auditioning Agate Rock Window layouts
Image 4: Auditioning Rocks for my Window

I laid my geode slices out on the window over a light box to "audition" them, only to realize I didn't have enough rock slices.


SIO4 SIO2 AGATE GEODE Rock Slice
Image 5: Agate Geode Rick Slice

I went to my favorite rock shop and stained glass store to buy more slices to finish the window.  The available slices were not circular or were too expensive.  I looked on-line - too expensive, and/or you didn't pick what slices you would get.  I tried to see if any of the Gem and Mineral shows would run during the pandemic - (nope).


SIO4 SIO2 AGATE GEODE Rock Slice Window Detail by Jeanne Selep
Image 6: The Comet like slice top right has become a favorite!

Eventually, I went back to a shop and bought inexpensive odd shaped slices, which I didn't really want to use.  (Some of which have since become favorites).  I had wanted to use mostly round circular pieces, and so I placed the best ones near the center of my window.

Beautiful Agate Geode Rock SLices
Image 7: I arranged my favorite slices near the center of the window

Months later the window was finally finished.  I absolutely love how my window glows in different lighting situations and seasons.  I consider it one of my best completed projects.


Agate Geode Rock Window by Jeanne Selep
Image 8: Agate Geode Rock Window by Jeanne Selep


(Here is the how-to...) I prepared the window, and washed the rocks and window very well.  I auditioned and arranged the rocks in a way I liked, using a light box.  (auditioning the rocks for weeks!).  I took a photo of the final arrangement as a reference.  Then I spread clear E6000 glue in a thin coat on the rocks to glue the rocks to the clean window glass, and let the glue dry.  Clear silicon or new resin products would probably work as well.

Auditioning Agate Rock Window layouts
Image 9: Auditioning even more Rocks for my Window

Below is the most famous of Sigmar Polke's Geode Windows in Zurich, Switzerland that inspired me to attempt this project.  I found his windows on-line and have never seen them in person.   This site here has more pictures and info on Polke's windows, which I hope to see someday!


Sigmar Polke's Agate Geode Window in Zurich Switerland
Image 10: Sigmar Polke's Inspiring Geode Window in Zurich Switerland

 HOW THIS WINDOW CHANGED MY LIFE, for the non-TLDR* crowd. 

So here's the story of how this window has changed my life.  (Deep Breath...)  I had the slices to use, and was inspired by Polke's Windows.  I wasn't entirely satisfied by my selection.  I heard about the Tucson Gem and Mineral show (the world's largest Gem and Mineral show!) because my son visited Tucson.  By then, I had already finished this window, but still wanted to have a better selection of slices (for the next window!).  My nephew lived in Tucson, and graciously let me visit.  I went to the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show.  (End of breath 1).  Days before I left I invited my 20-something daughter to come along.  She said yes.  We went to the show; and also saw the Grand Canyon in the snow, and walked about 3 miles on the Angel Bright trail (in snow!), and visited Saguaro National Park, and Antelope Canyon, and Sedona and more.  And I also skied for the first time in 30+ years.  (Another breath). I fell in love with the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, and plan on seeing more shows.  My daughter now wants to see all the National Parks. So I decided I too would make a goal of trying to see all the National Parks. (Breath) Because I went to the 2023 Tucson show, I have traveled on three other big vacations in 2023 and visited seven National Parks with my daughter; and visited three Canadian National Parks as well with my son and daughter.  More trips are being planned for 2024 and beyond, all because of a dusty bag of rocks being turned into a minor art window!   (End of deep breath.)

* non-TLDR - Fun note:  My daughter informed me that TLDR (originally typed TL;DR) is a acronym for "Too Long; Didn't Read", used by some people as a way to summarize posts.  Apparently TLDR has also morphed into being the header for a summary text at the beginning of articles or e-mails, to summarize for the TLDR crowd what the writing they won't read is about.  I think it's interesting here because when blogging I'm always stressing to keep paragraphs short and compact, and that goal cuts into interesting story telling details and notes.  Blogging styles and skills are constantly evolving for me, and this post in particular is an example of me playing with writing styles.  BTW, I only first heard of TLDR in 2023, LOL! If you read this far into this post, thank you and here is an extra smile for you! 😃


Jeanne Selep's Agate Geode Rock Window
Image 11: Agate Geode Rock Window lit by sunlight

 

Click on the images to see them enlarged.  The details can be stunning!

Leave a comment if you have the time, they brighten my day!





If you enjoyed this post you might also enjoy...

Eggs of stone
Mosaic Window
Glass Flowers 2
Mosaics
Autumn Wreath
Glass Leaf
Winter Garden
Bluebirds
Angel Window
Madonna Window
Beveled Window
Stained Glass















































I am linking up to these parties:
Sum of their stories: Handmade Mon 357 (Entry 12x of 57x.)
Esmesalon: Salon Pit Stop 287 Mon 4a (Entry 54 of 210.)
Mostly blogging: Inspire me Mon 451 9a (Entry 11 of 97.)
My Random: Anything Goes 402 (Entry 7 of 48.)
Rachel Swirl: Sunday Snapshot (Entry 7 of 7.)
Good Random Fun: Good Fun Mon 4a (m Entry 16 of 39.)
*BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 6a (s Entry 33x of 33x.)
Loulougirls: Fabulous-party 510 Mon 1p (l Entry 28 of 79.)
Holly pinklady: Hello Mon (l Entry 21 of 33.)
Keeping it Real: Party 397 (Entry 14 of 41.)
Kristin at Uncommon Slice: Inspire Me 304 Mon 2-4p (m Entry 73 of 101.)
* Marty at Stroll Life: Inspire Me 713 Mon 3p (l Entry 17 of 128.)
Image-in-ing: Weekly link up (Entry 32 of 48.)
Crazy Little Love Birds: Link party 21 Fri (Entry 27 of **)
Jenerally informed: Happy-now 407 Tues (m Entry 52 of 109.)
Master pieces of my life: Home Imagined 34 Tue 6a (Entry 29 of 46.)
Peabea: Pictorial Tuesday (Entry 16 of 18.)
My Wee Abode: Tuesday Turn About (s Entry 56r of 138r.)
Stonecottageadventures: Tues twist 559 (l Entry 28 of 37.)
Flusterbuster: Creative Muster 571 5p Tues (l Entry 2x
of 102x.)
Fifth Sparrow: Whimsy Home 64 Wed (Entry
5r of 40r.)
Eclectic Red Barn: Wonderful Wed (Entry 16r of 142r.)
Also Pennys Passion: Wonderful Wed (m Entry 16r of 142r.)
Artsy mama: Artsy Party Wed 10a (Entry 1 of 117gone.)
My world Thru My Lens: My Corner Wed (Entry 34r of 42r.)
Ridgehaven: Homestead Hop 479 Wed (Entry 29 of 58.)
My Thrift Store Addiction: Vintage Charm 421 Wed (m Entry 3 of 41.)
Grandmas house: Grandmas house 382 Wed 4p (m Entry 24 of 66.)
French Ethereal: Share Your Style 414 Wed 6p (Entry 28 of 99.)
Answer is choco: BFF open house Thur (Entry 59 of 119.)
KatherinesCorner: Th Fav Things 10a (Entry 47 of 188.)
Also Follow the yellow brick: TFT 10a (Entry 47 of 188.)
Coastal Bohemian: Funtastic 471 Th 8p (i Entry 108 of 130.)            I was featured here!
Try It Like It: Creatively Crafty 414 Th 4p (Entry 8 of 40.)               I was featured here!
Pieced Pastimes.gr: Saturday Sparks 600 Fr 8a (L Entry 35 of 102.)
Countyroad 407: Farmhouse Fri 330 (Entry 7 of 124.)                      I was featured here!
Modern on Monticello: Home matters 462 Fri (s Entry 2r of 118r.)
Its a small town life: Thankful Th 24 (Entry 7 of 12.)
Natalie: Coffee Share Th (Entry 2 of 25.)
Cottagemarket: A morning cup of Joe (L Entry 9 of 77.)                   I was featured here!
Shabby art boutique: Create-gather 605 (L Entry 14x of 115.)
Momfessionals: Fri Favorites (Entry 62 of 62.)
Funkyjunkinteriors: Upcycle Ideas 710 Fri (Entry 5 of 18.
)                I was featured here!
Pams Party: Dare to share 456 Fri 11p (m Entry 3 of 70
.)
The house on Silverado: Sun on Silverado 180 7a (Entry 18 of 131.)
Eclectic Read Barn: Happiness is Homemade Sun a (Entry 42 of 104.
)
Life and Linda: Dishing it Digging it Sun 3p (l Entry 18 of 143.)
A pinch of joy: Busy Sun even (l Entry ** skip)
Sew can do: Craftastic Mon Su (Entry 4 of 111.)
Create with Joy: Inspire me Monthly 576 (Entry 112 of 382.)
Lindas lunacy: Making-a-home Tue 9a (m Entry 19 of monthly)
April Harris: Hearth and Soul Sun 10p (Entry 97 of 149.)


596144




34 comments:

Gina said...

This is beautiful!

NCSue said...

Quite a project - and quite beautiful!
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/01/metz-cathedral-gothic-masterpiece-known.html

Peabea Scribbles said...

What a wonderful project, and how we never know how things will change for us. Sounds like you've been quite busy with the window, and now the traveling. Safe and happy trips for 2024. Love when our daughter or children will accompany us so that has to be a plus also. Thanks for sharing with Pictorial Tuesday.

magiceye said...

Fascinating rock collection.

Mascha said...

This is truly wow! Glad, that I found it and: i read all!
Greetings from Wernigerode, Germany (where the steam engines are still living)

Handmade in Israel said...

This is stunning! I actually really like the odd shaped pieces. They make it interesting.

Esme Slabbert said...

This is so awesome, I have never ever seen anything alike. Well done, I just love it.
I visited you via image-in-ing: Metz Cathedral, a gothic masterpiece known as "The Lantern of God"
My links: 42+43. This is a personal invite to come and join us at #WordlessWednesday #Photography Wednesday - Saturday. Link under BLOGGING

roentare said...

These rocks look so artistic and colourful!

photowannabe said...

I am here from Thankful Thursday and oh my...
I simply adore your agate window..glorious...
I do love how it has changed your life too. Seeing this world through new eyes and especially with your family is always wonderful.
Sue

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Geography in action! Both creative and beautiful. Makes me want to run out and buy some geode slices!

tchistorygal said...

I love your TLDR post and your deep breaths between sentences. LOL Your agates are gorgeous, and I love rocks. I kept mine in a dusty bucket for years when I taught fourth grade and brought them out for my rock unit. When I retired, I gave them to another fourth-grade teacher. Most of them came from California beaches. Vince started picking up rocks from our walks in Prescott, AZ, but they weren't special, so I didn't participate in collecting more dusty rocks. Yours are super special. Great post!

Writing Sparkle said...

I love Geodes. They are so beautiful. A Geode Rock window, wow! That is so pretty. Thank you for sharing.

Maria said...

I absolutely love your window! I am dreaming of at some point owning a small cabin with some kind of stained glass window, where I can see the light play as the day goes by.

Denyse Whelan. said...

Wow, wow and all the wows. I loved the story and the images. I can only marvel at your creative competence.

Thanks so much for sharing. D
Denyse #weekendcoffeeshare

Artsy VaVa said...

I love your window!

Natalie said...

Beautiful rock window and a great plan to visit all National Parks. Thank you for you weekend coffee share.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

This is an incredible story of perservance and creativity! I love the beautiful gems that you have used to create a very special window piece that you can enjoy always! Absolustely incredible - and even more, I love that your family is traveling to visit National Parks - double blessing for sure!

Janet Trieschman said...

Your window is lovely, thanks for sharing with Create-it Link Party

Joanne said...

That is beautiful!

Kirstin said...

WOW...that collection and window is stunning. Thank you for sharing

Lisa said...

I found this checking out the Inspire Me Monday linkup. So pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your agate window is stunningly beautiful! I also love the National Parks and have visited many over the years and hope to see more in the coming years.

Marsha said...

Your window is amazing! Where do you display it? I've always wanted to try stained glass, but I think this is even more beautiful! I have seen that TLDR but never knew what it meant! Thanks for the info! I'm visiting from Esme's Salon.

https://marshainthemiddle.com/

Sharon Wagner said...

I love rocks and tucson! I must go to that show someday. I have blogged quite a bit about those arizona parks. Good luck with your park project. We're visiting Moab and Monument Valley this spring. Plus, your rock window is a stunner. What a great way to dispaly your treasures.

Pamela said...

That's really stunning!

Michelle said...

Wow! This is a very beautiful project. I like your creative way of thinking. Thank you for linking up.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Gorgeous!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! I appreciate your kind words!!
Hugs,
Deb

Julie said...

Your window of geode slices came out beautiful!! Regarding collections just to dust, I am guilty. When my husband was alive, we loved collecting mugs from different places we've been to but they were just on display collecting dust on a shelf. As of recently, I decided to use the cups for the purpose that was intended. We also have really tiny mugs, I'll probably repurpose them as Christmas ornaments.

Cindy@CountyRoad407 said...

This stopped me in my tracks! It's stunning and totally belongs in a museum! Thank you for sharing it with us at Farmhouse Friday. I'm featuring it this week and seriously hope to make one someday. Hope you link up again soon. pinned

Kippi Ohern said...

I am in love with your rock window. Your connections with your family while visiting the National Parks are priceless!

Ps. found you at The Cottage Market

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog - found you through Life and Linda's Love your Creativity link party! I read the ENTIRE post - not too long at all, because it was fascinating! I don't have rocks where I live (Gulf Coast of Alabama) so I think these are beautiful and so special. And your story about how one small step opened your life to new adventures is AMAZING! Keep going for new art, new adventures and new experiences . . . Rock on!

Sarah MumofThree World said...

What a stunning creation. (And I did read all the way to the end!)

RachelSwirl said...

What a stunning window and such a fabulous arty idea! Thanks for sharing and for participating in #MySundaySnapshot.

Stephanie said...

I love how this turned out. --Very creative and such a stunning design. Thank you for sharing it with us over at The Crazy Little Love Birds link party #21.