Friday, April 12, 2013

Imperial Austria Plate

Imperial PSL Austria Princess china plate
Austrian china plate

Can you love the beauty of an object, like the plate above?  Can you study an object, ponder the design choices and techniques used to make it, wonder about the lifestyles and skills of the craftsman and the customer it was made for?  I can, and sometimes I think that must make me a boring person.  But on the other hand, I think it makes me able to appreciate life, and history, deeply, in my otherwise chaotic world.  (I have my four teenagers at home to distract me, if I take several minutes to enjoy something, you should trust me that I'm not spending my whole day this way.  Besides, the plate is breakable - if I don't enjoy it now, who knows how long it will last with all these teens!)

I wonder if this plate was created as part of a set for an aristocrat; or was it created as a souvenir for wealthy travelers on a European tour?  Were the colors and combination of roses, purple painted border and elaborate gilt work chosen as because they were in-style, or because they stood out?  Was the plate 'mass produced' and painted by an assembly line of painters, or did it take one craftsperson a half a day to paint it? 
Imperial PSL Austria Princess china plate
Austrian china plate
The back of the plate has a manufacturer mark - Imperial PSL Princess Austria. An internet site I found tells me the mark on the back was probably used from 1914-1918.  I picture someone in Europe, pre World War I getting paid to lavish time, attention, and skill to create a plate much more lavish then the ones they went home at the end of the night to eat on.  Imperial was probably the manufacturer, and Princess may be the name of the plate style, although even the millions of plates on replacements.com don't show anything close to this design.  But I  guess I like the idea that this plate was made for a princess - but perhaps the plate was made for and sold to a tourist who wanted to take home a lavish plate like one they imagined that royalty ate off of.  

Imperial PSL Austria Princess china plate
Austrian china plate detail
I like the 'extreme' detail of this plate, which I think must have been created for display only, not for actually eating on.  The gold gilding has hundreds of high relief bumps on it that I think would make using this plate for food impractical. (I think repeatedly using a plate like this would rub the bumps off)  

I bought this (somewhat gaudy) plate nearly 100 years after it was made for a fraction of the price of what a single fine china plate costs today at a department store, and I got something unique that resembles nothing being manufactured today (that I know of).  And now I am sharing it with you and the various parties listed below...



Click on the images to see them enlarged.


If you enjoyed this post you might also like:

hutch display
My Collection of all Hutch Posts!


















 



 

 

 

 

I am linking to these parties:
Charm of Home: Home Sweet Home 114 (Entry 156 of 163.)
Thrifty Grove: Thrifty Things Fri 104 (Entry 57 of 63.)

French Country: Feather Nest Fri (Entry 318 of 330.)
* Common Ground: Vint Inspiration 134 (Entry 206 of 212.)
* Romantic Home: Show and Tell (Entry 283 of 306.)
Chic: Flaunt it Fri 149 (Entry 199 of 219.)
Shabby Nest: Frugal Friday (Entry 370 of 395.)
Tatertots: Weekend Wrap Up (Entry 491 of 768.) 
Funky Junk: Sat Night Special 182 (Entry 72 of 195.)
Be Diff: Show and Tell Sat (Entry 239 of 359.)
Natasha in Oz: Say G'day Sat (Entry 72 of 113.)  
Stef Lynn: Sunday Showcase 148 (Entry 118 of 271.)
The Tablescaper: Seasonal Sunday 146 (Entry 45 of 88.)
I Heart Naptime: Sundae Scoop 75 (Entry 345 of 444) 
Jen Rizzo: Fabulous Friday (Entry 148 of 155) 
NiftyThings: Nifty Thrifty Sun 104 (Entry 273 of 302.)  
Too Much: Get Schooled Sat 72 (Entry 206 of 211.)
Boogie Board: Masterpiece Mon 119 (Entry 50 of 127)
Create with Joy: Inspire Me Mon 67 (Entry 118)
BNOTP: Metamorphis Monday 221 (Entry 155 of 195.) 
*Mod Vintage: Mod Mix Mon 97 (Entry 5 of 67.)
I should be: Mop it up Mon 63 (Entry 312 of 498.)
Craft Berry Bush: Inspiration Gallery 31 (Entry 267 of 268.)
Making the World Cuter (Entry 104 of 174.)
Twigg Studios: Sunday Showoff (Entry 81 of 88.)
Uncommon Design: Monday Funday 13 (Entry 287 of 640.)
Uncommon Slice: Tues Treasures 130  (Entry 194) 
* Stroll Life: Table Top Tues 160 (Entry 136) 
Diamond: Time to Shine 112 (Entry 117)
Cedar Hill: The Scoop 62 (Entry 309)
Primp: Primp you Stuff Wed 89 (Entry 105) 
Little Read House: Mosaic Monday (Entry 47)

106119

6 comments:

betsy said...

That plate is absolutely gorgeous. I, too, love looking at the details, the depth and changes of color and shadow. The shades of purple and pink are just beautiful. It just makes you feel happy to look at it.

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love the beautiful Austrian plate it is simply stunning, what a wonderful item to hand down through the generations, it could make a room light up with those perfect colors...

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, such a beautiful plate and the colors and detail are just exquisite. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

curiositaellya said...

This is gorgeous plate!
Thanks for sharing.

Ellya

http://www.curiositaellya.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

WOW ! This is the most outstanding piece of China I have ever seen! I am sure I am not the first to ask, however, would you consider selling it? Please consider and reply. Thank You. Cabbom@icloud.com

Kathy said...

I especially collect old dishes with pink roses. But I have a few with violets, too! None with both! That dish is so gorgeous! I really enjoyed this post!